New STEMI protocol in Riverside County, CA

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The devil's advocate sometimes tries to be me

What if evidence is showing that similar to the outcomes of BLS with trauma, a set of symptoms with a positive finding from a software algorythm is more accurate a predictor of adverse event and demonstrates better positive outcomes?

There has been significant identification recently that the same mechanisms in trauma are applicable to cardiac emergencies. It is worth considering.

But like I said, when the machine can do a better job then me. I would definately make sure I was more valuable than a machine. Otherwise you run the risk of being replaced with a EMT basic with a 12 lead AED. Not good for job security.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
There has been significant identification recently that the same mechanisms in trauma are applicable to cardiac emergencies. It is worth considering.

How do you mean?

I think that once again we see the pitfalls of inadequate education. Now that Lifepak 12 I lug around is pretty good at diagnosing an acute STEMI however it's not so good for some of the other things.

Still, I would rather trust my knowledge of how to read a 12 lead ECG (which like the Lifepak aint all that good outside of acute STEMI) rather than rely on the computer interpretation.

It does not take a rocket scientist to work out when somebody is having a STEMI; I get one nearly every shift I work I mean wow it's crazy; chest pain, little nausea, maybe vomiting, maybe some arm/jaw/face/neck pain, good story plus ECG changes .... we've all seen them; infact the last one I had said his chest pain went away.

We do not currently have such a system whereas we can divert staight to a PCI capable hospital however we have simmilar bypass policies for trauma. In the near future we will probably get such a policy.

Now you can get those patients who don't have ST changes, who are pain free and we've all seen them too. Wouldn't it be far more prudent in this case to go to the most appropriate facility even if it is over-triage a little or consult with cardiology and maybe send them a strip?

Dang nab it where is that Biophone when you need it.

irish_handgrenade

Forum Lieutenant
MRBrown and Veneficus I have to say that I think a lot of your opinions. When I read these questions and I start to make a reply I look at your posts and you guys seem to think similarly(but put your thoughts into words better) as I do. There were some really experienced guys who used to post on this site, I haven't seen them lately, but when they replied to a post they always hated on people and I haven't seen either of you guys do that in the posts I have seen.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
The trouble with relying on the machine interpretation entirely is that they are very specific, but not very sensitive. That is, if the machine says **ACUTE INFARCT** then your patient is likely to be having an acute infarct. However if it doesn't say that, it doesn't mean that they aren't having an infarct, merely that the machine hasn't picked it up.

This seems suspiciously like the typical EMS knee-jerk reaction of fixing a symptom (inappropriate transport/treatment decision by medics) with a 'protocol', rather than fixing the cause (lack of provider education/training)

Veneficus

Forum Chief
How do you mean?

I mean that because the physiologic mechanisms of pathology are similar. (hybernation, necrosis, apoptosis cascades from reperfusion injury, etc) that similar to trauma, aggresive intervention coupled with mandatory transport to a cardiac center would be beneficial.

Because of the nature of the cardiac event, the amount of focus on intervention in the US paramedic curriculum, and the non textbook presentations looking like the norm not the exception, it might be beneficial to be less specific when dx and treating a suspected ACS.

For example, compare the amount of people who are transported to trauma centers in the US because something "might be wrong." In my experience working at a very busy level I trauma center, far more are transported than require the level of care rendered by such a facility. Nobody would think not to go to a trauma ceneter with a trauma patient. (usually with backboarded patients and all kinds of get up that doesn't really matter.) Why would you not go to a cardiac facility with a cardiac patient?

The conditions leading to an ACS such as HTN, extremis of age, etc. are far more common than surgical trauma. Even if EMS simply identifies risk factors for potential ACS, the work up and treatment plan from a cardiac center could be beneficial in future MI prevention. Just like in Trauma, prevention of the incident, is not only cheaper, but saves many more people than damage control surgery. I stipulate the same could be said for cardiac treatment.

Still, I would rather trust my knowledge of how to read a 12 lead ECG (which like the Lifepak aint all that good outside of acute STEMI) rather than rely on the computer interpretation.

Me too.

But if the amount of overtriage of patients is not acceptable to a particular system and is impairinng its function, the rule is set in place for the people causing the problem. Which may be more people than the amount of capable providers.

Smash said it best, it is a provider education and skill issue. When there are provider education and skill issues in the US, the reaction has always been to limit the provider instead of increasing education. I don't like it, but a great many in the US who don't like it have no been able to change it.

It does not take a rocket scientist to work out when somebody is having a STEMI;.

Agreed, but you are well aware of the problems in the US. I doubt I can add anything more you don't already know to the issue of provider failure.

I get one nearly every shift I work I mean wow it's crazy; chest pain, little nausea, maybe vomiting, maybe some arm/jaw/face/neck pain, good story plus ECG changes .... we've all seen them; infact the last one I had said his chest pain went away.[/QUOTE]

This is not uncommon actually. We even see patients who report their pain was relieved by tylenol or some other OTC nsaid which sometimes takes providers away from the ACS mindset. The pain can come and go as well, it doesn't have to be constant. So now a provider must choose, did the tylenol releve the symptom? Did the pain go away from the drug or because the tissue died? Is the pain non specicif or intermittent?

The only solution is deeper exploration of the patient and complaint. But even still it will come down to an acceptable level of overtriage.

I have even met providers who will run a 12 lead on all abd pain calls of patients at risk for ACS. The scary thing is those providers are looked down upon and laughed at, but at the hospital, the patient would still receive a 12 lead.

We do not currently have such a system whereas we can divert staight to a PCI capable hospital however we have simmilar bypass policies for trauma. In the near future we will probably get such a policy.

That would be good.

Now you can get those patients who don't have ST changes, who are pain free and we've all seen them too. Wouldn't it be far more prudent in this case to go to the most appropriate facility even if it is over-triage a little or consult with cardiology and maybe send them a strip?

That is what I think, the only thing that throws a wrench in the works is how much overtriage is acceptable?

If you flood a PCI center with people they have to do diagnostics on, the saturation could slow the process down enough where patients are not getting timely intervention.

EMT_TIFFANY

Forum Probie
What happened to treat the patient not the monitor? This has been beaten into my head from day one of medic class. My instructor told us that there are still older medics out there that do not know how to read a 12 lead because they have never been taught how or have not had any extra training. Could this be the issue?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
What happened to treat the patient not the monitor? This has been beaten into my head from day one of medic class. My instructor told us that there are still older medics out there that do not know how to read a 12 lead because they have never been taught how or have not had any extra training. Could this be the issue?

12 lead ECG is not required education in the US. When the National Standard Cirricula for Paramedic was revised in 1998 most places were still using the Lifepak 10 and all would have had three lead (although you could do a throw-down bootleg nine lead with a LP10).

New Zealand only got 12 lead prehospital somewhere around 2003 and that was only in a very small area; the predominant provider has had 12 lead since 2007 and it's still a "nice to have" not a "have to have" but with the next system coming out 12 lead interpretation won't be an ALS-only skill anymore.

To say treat the patient and not the monitor is incorrect because ST changes on a 12 lead are one of the primary diagnoses of a STEMI along with cardiac labs and some other stuff I'm not sure exactly what though. Doesn't matter how symptomatic the patient is, a lot of MIs are pain free esp in the elderly and diabetics or present atypically with no real symptoms.

Last edited by a moderator:

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Doesn't matter how symptomatic the patient is, a lot of MIs are pain free esp in the elderly and diabetics or present atypically with no real symptoms.

Case in point, last week I had an 83 yo M w/acute change in mental status, family called a few hours later. We found him conscious, confused but without complaint....with acute inferior wall infarct. We treated the monitor, he went directly to the cath lab and had a stent placed. 2 days ago we had a patient with 3 days of intermittent cx pain, now with constant pain x 3 hrs, LP12 diagnosis called it NSR w/acute pericarditis, we called it acute anterolateral infarct. Once again, pt went to cath lab and had LAD stent placed.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Treat the patient not the monitor...

...is another one of those irratating EMS sayings that oversimplifies patient care. If you were only going to treat the patient based on history and physical exam and ignore the monitor, then why lug the d@mn thing in? Diagnostics are around for a reason, use them as a bolster for good history and H&P.

irish_handgrenade

Forum Lieutenant
sayings like that are around because of scenarios like this, and this actually happened to a medic I know.: Young medic a little full of himself, just at a year in, has a symptomatic cardiac pt. he hooks him up to the monitor and the monitor shows a rate of 400... This should have been the first clue that something was wrong... With out palpating a pulse or listening to the medic student that WAS checking the pulse which was around 70, he hooked up the pads and cardioverted the pt. Needless to say he no longer has a job with that service. treat the pt. not the monitor. the monitor is JUST a tool and nothing more its not there to diagnose your pt... YOU ARE. Well legally not diagnose but you know what I mean.

EMT_TIFFANY

Forum Probie
To say treat the patient and not the monitor is incorrect because ST changes on a 12 lead are one of the primary diagnoses of a STEMI along with cardiac labs and some other stuff I'm not sure exactly what though. Doesn't matter how symptomatic the patient is, a lot of MIs are pain free esp in the elderly and diabetics or present atypically with no real symptoms.

What I meant by treat the patient not the monitor was.... The person who posted this states that unless the monitor says Myocardial Infart (doesn't matter if there is ST elevation or depression) they cannot transport to a STEMI center. That is ridiculous. ST elevation or depression indicates that SOMETHING is wrong (treat patient) but the monitor says nothing about a myocardial infart (not the monitor). If you truly understand how to read a 12 Lead then you can see an infart progressing before it even reads infart. If you wait until the monitor says infart then it's too late more damage has occured to the heart, why not treat them in the early stages?

EMT_TIFFANY

Forum Probie
QUOTE]

I'm in agreement with this.

In the area I'm from, when a medic calls in an MI alert to the hospital. The hospital requests a copy of the strip. The ER Doc will review the strip prior to the patient's arrival. If the ER Doc has any significant findings in the strip, we prep the patient for cath lab. Once the patient gets up to cath lab he's already hooked up to all the equipment they need and meds are already going they can begin treating the patient. If the ER Doc says there are no significant findings, the patient is moved to a room in the ER and is placed on a monitor and the ER Doc treats them for whatever else it may be.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
as of last monday, Santa Barbara County started their STEMI protocol giving paramedics a 12 lead in the field. Realistically speaking it could work since, ekg interpretation for ST elevation is pretty easy with a 12 lead. 5 lead, doesnt quite cut the mustard.

zzyzx

Forum Captain
Yeah, it's fun to bash California. You guys are jumping the gun, however. This new memo says that medics in that county can't call a STEMI. It doesn't say they can't transport to a STEMI center if they suspect an MI, regardless of what they saw on the 12 lead.

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
Yes, so they are taking a step backwards from the national standards of trying to reduce door to ballon time. So now that pt has to sit and wait through all the ECG's again, before the Cath team is even activated. So much for heart muscle!

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
So fashionable to beat up on Southern California, even though the STEMI system is thriving and the patients are doing wonderfully. The flaw in your argument is the fact that NSTEMI patients are not treated the same as STEMI patients. Early invasive strategy is not the same as an urgent cath where minutes count. Select NSTEMI patients may one day be fast-tracked to the lab like STEMI patients (perhaps with point-of-care biomarkers and some type of field risk assessment) but that's a ways off in the future, and it will be an add-on to a STEMI system. It's a rare EMS system indeed that makes the decision based 100% from paramedic interpretation (no interpretive statement and no ECG transmission). 99% of the time when I challenge someone who ridicules Southern California, if turns out their own municipality, region, or state cannot compete with Southern California's stats.
While it's true that the STEMI program here in LA County is getting great results, I would argue that the program here (at least the pre-hospital component of it) is successful in spit of itself. In other words, it's an accident. The reason for this is that every other hospital here is a STEMI Receiving Center (SRC) and there are 150+ ambulance companies in operation here, most of which have ALS or CCT transfer services. As such, it simply doesn't really matter that no human eyes actually read the EMS 12-lead until the pt reaches the ED, and the ED physician discovers the STEMI that the machine missed and the on-scene paramedics weren't trained/authorized to identify. If that hospital turns out to not be a SRC, then that ED can do its initial work-up and stabilization protocols while a transfer from any one of the hundreds of private ambulance companies with ALS or CCT capabilities is arranged to take the pt another 15 min. down the road to the nearest SRC. So, the program here might be successful, but I would argue that the fact that it gets good results is not evidence for the idea that replicating it in other jurisdictions would yield similar success.