New & Need Advice

Pretty24

Forum Ride Along
Hey, im new on here and also on the field :)
Does any one have any suggestions on books where i can start with the basics and move on foward. Im on the volunteer squad but havent started til in 2weeks and i want to know more or less the basics when i get on ( observer )

Thnks hope to hear from some one lol:wub:

EMT John

Forum Crew Member
I dont know what kind of information your looking for but "Essentials of Fire Fighting" is a good start for firefighting and for EMS i would say "Emergency Care and Transportation of The Sick and Injured"

OP
OP
P

Pretty24

Forum Ride Along
Yea I hear to start from emt- basic book , I'm just trying to prepare myself and be ahead of everything so I know what to expect when I'm on

CMHills

Forum Probie
The biggest thing you can do to get acquainted with the basics is to familiarize yourself with the more basic & common terminology EMSers throw around on shift.

That, and getting the texts EMT John mentioned will put you in a pretty good place.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
The biggest thing you can do to get acquainted with the basics is to familiarize yourself with the more basic & common terminology EMSers throw around on shift.

Excellent suggestion I recommend this site for doing that :)

http://www.quicksilverweb.net/sbucks/sbcharts.htm

If you haven't started class yet I would suggest finding out what text you will be using and get it read all the way through before class starts. If you are already a basic then maybe move on to some basic anatomy info. Might be good to start researching common drugs and pharmacology as well. Mental health is also a good area to focus on. I get most of my info off the web so I can't really suggest much in the way of paper books but every time you hear something new run to Google and read up on it.

OP
OP
P

Pretty24

Forum Ride Along
yea i havent started classes yet. im going for volunteer for 6 months and then get a voucher so i can start my classes *Crosses fingers*

brianamato

Forum Probie
starting in Sept..

yea i havent started classes yet. im going for volunteer for 6 months and then get a voucher so i can start my classes *Crosses fingers*

Hey Pretty24 - Im in the same boat as you.. Im starting in September with a Ambulance company and starting EMT School on Sept 5th. I was very lucky to the Ambulance co take me on as a volunteer and then pay for my schooling after one year of service with them. My problem is the all the acronyms being used.... I am hoping I will be able to pick them up.

Anybody, is there a book on just acronyms ?

CMHills

Forum Probie
I've never run across a book for acronyms only, but the textbook for your EMT class will (probably) have an appendix for medical terminology and a list of all the acronyms it gives you.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Anybody, is there a book on just acronyms ?

They should be avoided. Schools and employers/hospitals will have an approved list to use. In most instances plain language is the best thing to use.

There are common ones but most are regionalized.