New member training, (Original Topic)

ericcoch

Forum Probie
So I am working on the new master plan for new members. I am from a complete volunteer squad, no schedule just go if you can. Member retention and training is a key topic lately. One problem is that with FR, or EMT-B trainings taking months to complete they are not offered all the time, local college fall and spring semesters. So the problem is when a member walks in and says I want to join in October the next class starts in January. What do you do with this dead time?, when can someone ride along and see if they like it?, when can they do a driver training?

I am thinking ICS 100, CPR pro or HCP w/ AED, O2 essentials, PTD/BBP, driver training, a HIPPA like class, and then just general heres how we operate here is where things are.

What do you think? What do you do?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
So I am working on the new master plan for new members. I am from a complete volunteer squad, no schedule just go if you can. Member retention and training is a key topic lately. One problem is that with FR, or EMT-B trainings taking months to complete they are not offered all the time, local college fall and spring semesters. So the problem is when a member walks in and says I want to join in October the next class starts in January. What do you do with this dead time?, when can someone ride along and see if they like it?, when can they do a driver training?

I am thinking ICS 100, CPR pro or HCP w/ AED, O2 essentials, PTD/BBP, driver training, a HIPPA like class, and then just general heres how we operate here is where things are.

What do you think? What do you do?

I think the first thing you should do is find out of there are any state or county laws that dictate what training someone must have in order to ride on an ambulance or fire truck. If your area has these laws that will dictate what you need to do.

What classes you should teach will also depend on what you want these people to be able to do.

If you have enough people, you could also just say 'here are the dates for our new recruit classes, we'll see you then" and not offer in-between classes.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Since this post was hijacked in it's original thread, it has been moved to it's own thread. Please keep this one on topic.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
With my service all new recruits with no EMS training re called Student On Board. The job of the Student On Board is to watch and learn from the EMR's and EMT's, and to follow there orders which is get this and that as well as lifting a lot of lifting. After the Student On Board as been with the service fro 6 months they are finished the probationary period. The service pays for St John Ambulance standard first aid and CPR level C. When funds become available they get trained to the Emergency Medical responder level (which is equivalent to US EMT-B ). If the recruit does not want to be an EMR or EMT then they become an Emergency Vehicle Operator and all they'll do is drive and lift no pt care. When each member gets their class 4 DL then they become eligible to get at no charge to themselves a AVOP (Airside Vehicle Operators Permit) so that they can operate the ambulance at the airport. Next week our members who haven't taken it will take an NRP course. The service will provide as much free training to our members as can be taken. Our service is paid on call.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I think the first thing you should do is find out of there are any state or county laws that dictate what training someone must have in order to ride on an ambulance or fire truck. If your area has these laws that will dictate what you need to do.

What classes you should teach will also depend on what you want these people to be able to do.

If you have enough people, you could also just say 'here are the dates for our new recruit classes, we'll see you then" and not offer in-between classes.

Depending on what you find out, I think HIPAA, Haz-Mat, BBP, traffic control, how to do a rig check, and how to clean/put away/restock stuff would be good. That way they could assist with a lot of things without having a ton of training.