New here with 2039483208952098 questions!

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys, I'm Erin Cooley. I live just outside of Atlanta. I'm in my first quarter of EMT school. My *original* plan was to start school and go straight thru the Paramedic program. I've since heard that I will have to work as an EMT for 1 year before I can apply to paramedic school beginning 1/1/08. I should have the answer to that soon. (If you know anything regarding that, I would appreciate it!)

I was basically trying to avoid working and being in school at the same time. How do yall schedule that anyway? Our medic program is 8-4 M-Thursday, when do you work? What about family time?

Anyway, clinicals start in a few weeks. I need help buying womens pants and boots. Are there any brands you prefer? Are there some really :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty brands that I want to stay away from? I've looked at boots until I sick of boots!

I more thing, I'm required to have liability insurance. Can you recommend some decent companys?

Trust me when I say that I will be back with more questions, these are just a few that I need answered ASAP so that I can get clinicals underway!!

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys, I'm Erin Cooley. I live just outside of Atlanta. I'm in my first quarter of EMT school. My *original* plan was to start school and go straight thru the Paramedic program. I've since heard that I will have to work as an EMT for 1 year before I can apply to paramedic school beginning 1/1/08. I should have the answer to that soon. (If you know anything regarding that, I would appreciate it!)
When I was in EMT school, I thought this rule was stupid. I've since come to appreciate the wisdom behind it. All the classroom experience in the world isn't as good as the experience you'll receive in the field. Having some real practical experience will serve you much better when you go into the paramedic phase. I know it seems like forever away, but you will appreciate it in the future trust me. I went from a basic, to an intermediate and then to a medic. Took forever, but it was worth it.

I was basically trying to avoid working and being in school at the same time. How do yall schedule that anyway? Our medic program is 8-4 M-Thursday, when do you work? What about family time?
I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I have a wife that makes good money, so I was able to center my life around my education and then everything else came in second, except my family of course. It's a huge commitment and you have to work long hours and sacrifice a great deal of your social life, but if you want it bad enough you'll figure out a way.

Are you in the EMS service already? If so, some agencies will help you rearrange your schedule to accommodate school. If not, then you may have to decide which is more important to you. Also, going through a school at a university makes you eligible for financial aid that you could use to help pay bills. Just a thought.

Anyway, clinicals start in a few weeks. I need help buying womens pants and boots. Are there any brands you prefer? Are there some really :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty brands that I want to stay away from? I've looked at boots until I sick of boots!
Pants are a dime a dozen. Go to a uniform shop and pick up some there.

Boots, I can't speak to womens boots.

I more thing, I'm required to have liability insurance. Can you recommend some decent companys?
I've never heard of a program that requires the student to have liability insurance. That is typically included in your tuition and then when you're employed, your agency will cover that. I am a little skeptical of the program you're in, if you have to provide you're own insurance.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I've never heard of a program requiring liability insurance for a basic student either. Generally you are covered under the school's policy.

However, HPSO does offer insurance for students - you can check them out here

OP
OP
E

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I don't know why I'm required to get my own, it may end up being that I have to pay for it seperately THRU the school. If I don't have answers from my instructor on Thursday, I'm calling the head of the department. I *think* I'm in a good program.. at least I'm hoping so! From what I've heard its really good.

In my case, I will be the only one working. My husband retires from Delta Airlines in January (08) I still hate to work full time, go to school full time and be a mom too, kwim? I know it will work out, its just scary. Since I graduated from college the first time, I havent worked...

Thanks for the tips..

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
On the boots, I have difficult feet to fit because they are pretty narrow and its even tougher to find a good fit if I'm in a men's size. I finally bought a pair of men's boots and put inserts in them to raise my foot up. Besides, with good inserts my feet are comfy!

GaEMT

Forum Crew Member
Erin

Check with the school. If it is a tech school in GA normally you pay the insurance fee to the school who in turn carries the policy. I believe mine was $46. As far as boots, go with something that is comfortable, but don't scrimp either. You will wear them a lot. Pants - same advice but check with the shool and confirm if there is a required clinical uniform. Best of luck and if ever in Macon say hi

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Welcome to EMS. Just like any other profession sacrifices has to be made. I have yet met any EMS, nursing, physician, etc. that ever had a life while in school. Wait until the more advanced, then more time will be required.

As far as student insurance, as others stated check your program. Most agencies will not allow students without it. Sorry, you screw up, someone has to pay.

As far as the uniform, boots, etc. again check with your school. If this program was really "that great" they would had sent out information to you prior or co enrollment. Be sure to keep up on the etc...

I personally would not spend a great deal on boots, etc. until I was certain I was I was truly going into the profession.

You are right the field requirement is stupid. Experience is great, but you will obtain that on the way. Sorry, not much you are going to learn as a basic that you will be able to apply. Like other medical professions, it is not required. Most of the reasoning is for traditional purposes and has no validity of difference of those that had and those that did not have experience.

Good luck !
R/r 911

OP
OP
E

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks!

We have a uniform list but it doesnt give brands. They want black or navy "EMT" style pants and black polishable work boots. I was wondering if anyone had a brand that they really love.. or if they know of a brand that really sucks. I guess I will go to an actual store to get this stuff rather than my normal "internet" shopping!!

I will definately go into the profession, assuming I pass the NREMT!! I'm really excited, this is what I've wanted to do for 11 years now!

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
Erin,

Before you go plunking down some big bucks for the pants and boots, check the local army/navy store. I know of a great one in Forest Park, on Main St. But since you live so dang close to Alabama, I am sure there might be a store or two that can help you out.

I paid something like $22 per pair of my BDU's. Avoid the seconds like the plague-they won't last. As far as boots go, they might have something to fit you there as well.

Also there is a tactical gear shop in Forest Park as well. Some folks go to Joe Shirlies-again, another tactical/ cop shop.

Good luck!!

Jeff

OP
OP
E

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
My husband was telling me about that shop.. I guess there is also a new one in Tyrone as well.

Thank you so much for all of your help.

PS, I've been here reading for 3 hours now. My *** is numb!!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I know you brought up quite a few topics, but I just thought I'd pass along a good deal on liability insurance. You can get it through HPSO (http://www.hpso.com) for only $29 a year. They're the company suggested by the NAEMT, and I've used them in the past.

Good luck with everything, and be sure to keep us updated!