New FDNY Ambulance

BoogieDownMedic

Forum Ride Along
I would imagine FDNY disagrees with you. Rationale I heard behind them was that EMS members are required to have a set of turnout gear (or something like it) and possibly some sort of hazmat gear as well. There was not room for this gear in the box compartments. Solution, place duffel bags in extended cab, also have the option of transporting family members more easily or a medic student.

This...

BITS is not a big fan of unsecured gear in the back of the ambulance. The crew cabs give FDNY EMTs/Medics more room to carry their turnout gear and other personal gear. The buses themselves are not that much bigger than the old buses, just a little bit longer.

DPM

Forum Captain
Forward of the side door on the right hand side there is an externally accessible compartment, I thought turnouts etc were in there...

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Ha! I actually know the answer to this one.

I've seen a couple of local NICU / PICU units that use these. The crew essentially becomes taxi drivers - they show up, pick up the 5-person NICU team from the local children's hospital and all of their gear (built into a modified Stryker stretcher), drive them to the remote hospital, put junior into the incubator, put mom and / or dad in the front, and both EMTs / medics drive everyone back to the children's hospital.

If there's a really sick kid it means that both mom and dad can go to and from the hospital together while the kid gets CC transport both ways (think high-tech kids going from home to a doctor's appointment and back home).

That is how they do it at our hospital, really cool setup.

micu1.jpeg