New EMT

Catmv77

Forum Ride Along
Hi all my name is Catherine and I am new to this forum and have just gotten my EMT license.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks! I don't know how this forum works so bare with me. I'm curious to know what to expect on my first day of work.
Probably paperwork and observation, unless someone calls in sick. Then you may be in charge. 😁

Let us know how it goes.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome
don't take things that people say personal, either here or in the field: listen to the FTO's but remember you are new and you are going to screw up. They did when they were new. So if someone tells you you screwed up and have no business in this field take a deep breath and learn from it.
I was told that quite a few times; and every one that told me that isn't doing EMS any longer: I have been doing it for 24 years

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Never allow yourself to lose your humanity or sense of humor.
What CCCSD said is probably the most important part of being able to do this job for years to come. Also having a hobby outside of EMS is very important too. I for instance have gotten into competitive shooting since I left California and it’s a great stress relief as I’ve made a great group of friends and not one of them is also EMS, so we talk about anything but work most of the time. Really helps keep me level and not overwhelmed with just working as many hours as I can.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
do the right thing when nobody is watching.
always be nice.
never pass up the opportunity to Pee.
keep a snack in your bag, you never know when you’ll eat again.
every patient gets a blanket. If it’s cold enough for a jacket, they get 2.
learn how to be an active listener
wash the truck.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
What Nomadic said:
plus always keep the truck at least 3/4 full, you never know when you will be sent out of town: even on the Fire Department. I was sent to cover for tornadoes a couple of times. And sitting at long fire standby's it sucks when you have to leave to get fuel 1-2 hours into it.
never pass up the opportunity to get a nap. Learn to nap when your partner is.......... (doing pretty much anything)

RedFiremedic

Forum Ride Along
Grats! What sort of EMS are you working currently/aspire to work in? Fire, inter-facility, 911 response?

Another bit of advice -- the learning never stops just because you've got your license! There's always something new to gain from each call and it's important to actively pursue more knowledge. Medicine and EMS are ever-expanding fields! It can be overwhelming but it's also exciting.