New Emt

62_derick

Forum Crew Member
I have just recently in the past 3 months became a new EMT in PA, I know that the laws and such are different in each state but how ever the calls and medical problems are not.

I had gotten hired with a big company with in the past 2 weeks and will be scheduling my precept next week. After the training I will be able to work night shifts and will not have the option to be stationed at a Hard Post (ie the station/base) I will be stationed at a street corner waiting for the call to come out.

So I was wondering if there was any suggestions that you guys could give me any advice on being in the life of an EMT, Anything would be greatly appreciated and taken in well enough.

Thank You Derick

Patrick.W.Steele

Forum Ride Along
Keep your cool. Nothing's worse than getting all worked up, even in emergency situations. Be smart and make sure you know what you're doing before you do it. Doing something at a smooth but constant pace, knowing you're doing it correctly is faster than someone trying to rush out and get something done but finds himself doing it incorrectly at the end.

Once you get the routine down and you work couple of months/years on a service, you'll get everything down to regular practice.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Have a life, start saving money, plan your next career move now.

Oh, and don't go spending money on whacker gear, tattoos, belt buckles.

Family first, they will be there when you are hurt, between jobs, fired, sick, burned out, and need a ride. Never side against your family for a job, unless it is the tip of a bigger iceberg of control isisues; then, work on those.

Continue studying and decide where to go in your career, then go there. We're sharks, gotta keep moving, if just for the halibut (bad pun).

Start investing now, if only a little bit weekly (ten bucks, that's one cheap dinner at Denny's). Money is the best tool for disaster preparedness, career improvement, medical and dental treatment, and eventually retirement. Don't mess with the principal and keep adding to it.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Night time street corner shifts are FUN.

We all deal with it differently. I take my computer, a harddrive with movies on it, a book, a pillow (for naps, even though I'm small, it's hard to get comfortable in a vanbulance). If you're working nights, it's generally easier to count on sleeping days at least on the days after you've worked, some of us have found it's easier to do it all week long. Remember, no need to get all excited!

firedog3700

Forum Probie
Buy your own stuff

BP cuff, stetho, shears. Those are the tools you'll use the most, so use your own. Mechanics work better when using their own tools, EMTs are the same. Put your name or initials on them.

Also, if you buy them yourself, you will take better care of them and you'll know they are in good shape, unlike company-provided stuff that no one really cares about, since they don't have anything invested in them.

ASAP, get a Littmann. Worth every penny.

OP
OP

62_derick

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for all the help and information, I will put into good use on everything. My birthday is coming up real soon so I hope maybe I will get in the this future of technology thing and finnaly get an IPOD lol. But thanks for the help.

Derick

NBfire841

Forum Probie
BP cuff, stetho, shears. Those are the tools you'll use the most, so use your own. Mechanics work better when using their own tools, EMTs are the same. Put your name or initials on them.

Also, if you buy them yourself, you will take better care of them and you'll know they are in good shape, unlike company-provided stuff that no one really cares about, since they don't have anything invested in them.

ASAP, get a Littmann. Worth every penny.

Amen to that, especially at a big company. Our BLS trucks (full ALS equipment, less the LP12) get beat into the ground, and you're lucky to get a truck that everything works 100%. My Littmann Master Classic isn't too fancy but I sure can hear better than using those chincy steths the company buys.