New EMT!!! Need help!!

GeorroEMT

Forum Probie
Hello there, I need all your guy's help I recently passed my NREMT 2 weeks ago and I'm almost done getting all my licenses (LA county). All I have left is my DL-51, which I'm getting done next week. I just need help deciding on to where I should apply. I live in the San Gabriel Valley and have a friend that works at Lifeline Ambulance which is an IFT and said that he can get me in. But I wanted to apply at AMR because I wanted to work for a 911 company, but I'm not sure if they hire new EMTs with no experience. Im not sure if this is true or not should I just apply at lifeline and work there till I get some experience or should I just give it a shot and just apply at AMR??

Drax

Forum Captain
Apply to every job that you qualify for, especially the ones that you want.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
What he said. An EMT with no experience has no room to be picky. Apply to as many places you can, and cross your fingers a good one hires you. As you gain experience, you can start to get pickier.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Should've gone to REMS (Riverside Co.) or ICEMA (San Bernardino Co.) better counties in my opinion.

OP
OP
G

GeorroEMT

Forum Probie
What he said. An EMT with no experience has no room to be picky. Apply to as many places you can, and cross your fingers a good one hires you. As you gain experience, you can start to get pickier.
True whatever I can get a job is a job lol thanks man

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
AMR, Schaefer (both SGV), Care (SE county) and McCormick (South bay and Malibu) and the Trans-Pro-Aid-Life-Maxx IFT companies with their 1-800 number and "Now Hiring EMTs!" Signs plastered on the sides and back that are as big (or bigger) than the actual company name, they ALL will hire brand new EMTs fresh out of school. Easier to train you to their way of doing things, no old habits from the previous employer to unlearn (though of course plenty of people bounce around them lol, I'm kind of one of the myself :p )

Filling out and submitting an application costs you nothing but the time it takes to hammer one out, and some companies (Schaefer, McCormick spring to mind) you do pretty much need to hand deliver an app to be considered so just keep that in mind if you want a particular place and haven't heard back, just show up dressed professional and ready for an on the spot interview if need be, the worst they can do is say no, and you're in the exact same boat as if you never tried, but if you get picked up at your #1 spot even if you thought they'd never look at you, then you're in a pretty good spot.

OP
OP
G

GeorroEMT

Forum Probie
AMR, Schaefer (both SGV), Care (SE county) and McCormick (South bay and Malibu) and the Trans-Pro-Aid-Life-Maxx IFT companies with their 1-800 number and "Now Hiring EMTs!" Signs plastered on the sides and back that are as big (or bigger) than the actual company name, they ALL will hire brand new EMTs fresh out of school. Easier to train you to their way of doing things, no old habits from the previous employer to unlearn (though of course plenty of people bounce around them lol, I'm kind of one of the myself :p )

Filling out and submitting an application costs you nothing but the time it takes to hammer one out, and some companies (Schaefer, McCormick spring to mind) you do pretty much need to hand deliver an app to be considered so just keep that in mind if you want a particular place and haven't heard back, just show up dressed professional and ready for an on the spot interview if need be, the worst they can do is say no, and you're in the exact same boat as if you never tried, but if you get picked up at your #1 spot even if you thought they'd never look at you, then you're in a pretty good spot.
Yeah you got a point there I'm not going to lose a thing with just applying and see what happens. My top picks I'm probably going to apply to is AMR, Schaefer, Lifeline, and Care. Thanks man!!!