New EMT-B in northern MI

a1a86

Forum Ride Along
Hi there! I am new to this site and have been a EMT-B for about a year. I have a full time job in a different industry that keeps me and my family comfortable, but I hate waking up in the morning to go to it. I have been on a volunteer fire/rescue department for about 3 years, and I could never see myself without it. I am currently enrolled in paramedic school starting in September, but I have some baggage that I am concerned about. 12 years ago I was arrested for impaired driving, which I pled guilty to. 3-1/2 years ago I was arrested for driving while license suspended due to an unpaid traffic ticket. I paid my fines and my license was straightened out. I am really concerned about the DWS as it is so new, and I haven't found many threads regarding it. I take full responsibility for everything that I have done, and make no excuses. I just don't want to take such extensive training (including the tuition fees) if I won't be able to find work once I have passed the course. I would appreciate any professional feedback that you all could give.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Good luck and welcome...i don't know about the DWI's affecting you, so i'm not going to touch on it. i would say that since your company who is going to hire you has to insure you to drive some expensive equipment it's a toss up.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Well... it depends on a lot of things.

Here in PA... you've got to have a clean, clear, and valid DL for 2 years after suspension before you can drive an emergency vehicle... for DUI's, that means you've got a 2+ year suspension, then 2 years with a clear DL, so it can be 5 years before you can drive again.

I'm not sure what your state's rules are on suspended licenses. I'd talk to the state OEMS.

Jon

Last edited by a moderator:

Hastings

Noobie
In Michigan, that IS going to prevent you from working as a paramedic. Sorry.

Michigan LICENSING for EMT and PARAMEDIC

BACKGROUNDS WILL BE STRICTLY CHECKED

if you have a misdeameaner within the last five years, a felony the last 10-15 MDCH does not even want an application. They are not going to accept it, renewal, relicensure, or new application

registry is not going to accept them, for sure, as of right now
larcency, assault, csc, embezzelment, theft, murder, intent to do harm, are for sure things that will never, if convicted, get a license

Last edited by a moderator:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome!

Welcome to the tribe!! I hope that things will work out for you! :):):)

Lyss

Forum Probie
I don't know what state you're in, but go to a local station and ask. They're going to find out when you apply anyway, so you might as well get it out in the open now. Ask about your chances. While its true that we're all just human and therefore subject to bad decisions, most EMS stations will only hire squeaky clean records due to the rising cost of vehicles and equipment. There are enough injuries and deaths in emergency-related MVAs involving people with clean licenses, they don't want to take a chance.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
In this instance its more a matter of your personal integrity. By driving with a suspended license you showed at the time, that your personal comfort was more important than following the law. Since it wasn't a DUI, I'm not sure what the liability for driving implications are, but it does speak to your honesty. You need to be clear with those who might hire you about what a stupid mistake it was. Depending on their pool of candidates, it could go either way.

OP
OP
A

a1a86

Forum Ride Along
Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply. You have made me feel welcomed. I appreciate everybodys input. I am going to try your suggestions and see where that leads me. I will keep you informed.