New EMT, Ambulance Companys?

mauer

Forum Ride Along
Im a new EMT looking for my first job. Who are some good Ambulance companys in LA county to try to apply for? Do they run any 911 calls, or just IFTs?

Thxs

OP
OP
mauer

mauer

Forum Ride Along
thxs man, those helped!

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
The advice I got, which I'll pass on to you, is to apply everywhere you find within a reasonable commute, and work for whomever hires you. I'm in the same boat as you, fresh out of school. I applied for six companies in San Diego last week and I don't have any interviews yet, I'll keep checking up until I do. One guy advised me that it took him about a month to find a job, so I'm prepared for it to take a while. We can't really distinguish ourselves on paper since we're fresh out of school, so my strategy is to compensate for that by going everywhere in person and trying to make the best impression I can. If they're going through applications and they can put a face to a name, I'm a little bit ahead. At least, that's the theory.

One little tip, if you apply for AMR they will have you take an 80-question test on the spot. It shouldn't be any big deal for you since you just finished class, it's basic National Registry stuff. Just a heads-up for you.

Also, when you apply, make copies of all your certs (National Registry certificate, county card, CPR card, ambulance license, driver's license) and bring them a copy of a DMV H6 (10-year driving record). They will want that. I also made up a resume and a cover letter for each company; that may not be absolutely necessary for this job, but I figured it couldn't hurt. And obviously, the standard job interview stuff: have a fresh haircut, shave, dress spiffy, shake hands, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
Forgot to add that you should also give them copies of your school certificate. Some places may want that as well.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
it took me about a month and a half to find a job so dont give up!!

CARRERA

Forum Probie
I was very worried about finding a job in this economy but I found a job in a little less than three weeks. I had two job offers in one day and started this past Monday. I also received a call from PRN offering me a job this past week but since I already had a job and they needed me full-time, I had to decline.

I live 500 feet from a hospital so I get to talk to a lot of different EMTs and I've heard that some companies will call you weeks after an interview to offer you a job.

firemedic_30ca

Forum Ride Along
La County Fire runs the ALS out there. They contract with private providers for their ambulances. Because of this, there are several companies that run 911 out there. However, you will most certainly have to pay your dues in IF before you get to run EMS. In Los Angeles county look into Emergency Ambulance out of fullerton, they run inglewood. Care ambulance out of anaheim, the have about 16 cities from the orange county border all the way to torrance. McCormmick runs Hermosa Beach and a couple others. AMR has just a few cities left out there. Gerber ambulance runs torrance fire. Then there is about 6 different bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: companies that run second in calls. The best of these options is care ambulance. The are the largest in the area at the moment. You will be doing IF for a while, after that you can get into orange county ems, then move ot to LA. They run everything from torrance out to corona. The best advice i can give you is to leave the state of california if you want to run good ems as an emt.

oc_emt

Forum Probie
Does anyone have any insight specifically regarding Americare or PRN Ambulance services in LACO. Just wondering if there considered decent companies within the local market and industry. Any feedback is much appreciated.

firemedic_30ca

Forum Ride Along
Yeah they are both interfacility. Americare will try and tell you they do 911 calls, but they dont. Its just granny go homes there, and they pay terrible aisde from treating you terrible. PRN is pretty much the same way. Sorry to give bad news, but the fact is most of the agencies out there treat you like :censored::censored::censored::censored: and pay you nothing. The best you can get is to find one that treats you :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty, but runs 911.

oc_emt

Forum Probie
Thank you, I appreciate the brutal honesty. It helps, especially for those of us new to the field/industry!