New EMS training program

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Don't know what or any of this I'd mentioned before, so here's a brief synopsis.

For the past several years, our EMS program has been coordinated by a career FF/paramedic from a neighboring department. He's very active in EMS in the county and did all our training drills, conducted periodic initial certification classes for new members and did our QI on our run reports.

About a year/year and a half ago, he got promoted to Captain on his department. With his new duties, he wasn't able to provide as much service to us and finally "resigned" a couple months ago. Since then, we've been without a formal EMS training program.

We currently have a ballot measure for the special election in November that would provide some extensive additional funding for our department. Among other things, this will allow us to start providing ALS in some form or another (most likely by contracting with a neighboring career department) and increase our training budget.

Well, the City Council "found" a reserve fund somewhere and decided to jumpstart the process with special funding to start a new EMS training program now, and it was quite good news to discover that we're now contracting with the UCLA Center for Pre-Hospital Care as our provider. This is the same group that runs the well-known Daniel Freeman Paramedic school, and is where I took PHTLS last year. They also provide similar services to several other departments (ironically, including the department our former coordinator is with).

Anyway, I'm rather excited about this and think its going to be an excellent program. Not that our old program wasn't, mind you. But I've always been impressed with the UCLA program (and coming from a USC alum, that's saying a LOT :D ) and am looking forward to this.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
That is great.

My fire Co. recognizes that our weekly training night needs to be "shared" between the Ambulance, Rescue, and Fire supression..... An example... when it rains or is to cold to go burn or cut cars out back (Training area), we willl pull someone's car into a bay and practice extrication of the patient. We try to use eaither real "victims" in our rescue sceniero's, and come up with some "easy" injuries to point to with verbal clues from the pt. (Femur Fx, Tension Pnumothorax, etc) and have the EMT try to figure them out.

Jon

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Sounds Great!! :)