Need Guidance for my career in EMS

bkbrown250

Forum Ride Along
I am about to take part in an EMT-B class at my local community college. I have enrolled payed the fees and I'm in and start the 13th of August. I have a problem thought. I am 22 about to turn 23 and i have a bit of a past. Before i was 18 i was caught with stolen property it was a misdemeanor and it was disposed after doing community service. Then when i was 19 i got caught shoplifting and that was a misdemeanor petty theft or larceny this was dismissed. Both of these i believe i think will hinder me in continuing in this program and i don't know how to approach it. I am working with my lawyer to expunge both cases i haven't had anything bad happen to me for 4 years and i have been on the straight and narrow holding great jobs and doing well in school. I need to know if there is a background check in the EMT programs or if its just something done for the National registry. If so i also need to know if this will disqualify me from ever being an EMT/Paramedic at this time or at least till i get these off my record do other people with similar circumstances have stories like mine to share?. This is my dream i will fight for it but i need some answers. Please help!

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
It definitely won't make finding a job any easier. My suggestion is to contact the employers in the area you wish to work and ask their policy on this kind of thing. You can talk to them without giving any personal info if you are worried about it being held against you.
when the time to apply comes, disclose everything there is a record of within the time period they ask for.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
If your case was dismissed than you were technically not convicted and you do not have to disclose it on most applications. Good luck

vcuemt

Ambulance Driver
If your case was dismissed than you were technically not convicted and you do not have to disclose it on most applications. Good luck

Do not take this for granted. Carefully read all application instructions and fill out the information they ask for. I wouldn't go beyond what they ask for - so if they want to know if you've ever been convicted of a felony don't volunteer anything beyond that - but if they want to know if you've ever been arrested you tell them that info, too.