Need Advice - Doubting following through with an EMT-B Course

ajsellaroli

Forum Probie
My class starts on the 12th, but I am considering not going through with it. Here's the problem: I went and got my book ahead of time, to get a head start, and I started flipping through it, looking at everything. Inside, I found some of the most gruesome pictures of human suffering I have ever seen in my life. I remembered what my dad and brother (who used to want to be a doctor, but now wants to be a writer) said about how people in these sort of jobs need to become 'desensitized' to blood, etc. I know I CAN become less sensitive to that, but I am wondering, if that's actually something I should strive for. It sounds like it would make me a much rougher person. Is this true? or can you still be desensitized to blood, wounds, etc, and still actually care, (ie, be sensitive to) or about individual's needs, etc. Do you know what I'm trying to say?

I am having huge doubts about going through with this. I am afraid I will not remember what to do in a crisis, or I will be too afraid to take charge. The main reason I was taking this class was to help me decide whether or not to go for a career in medical (doctor) or to be a photographer, or pilot. Now I don't know what to do. Another problem I have is my motive. I realize that much of the reason I'm thinking about being a doctor is because of the prestige one gets, of the high income and steady work (things a photographer don't seem to get) So I don't know what to think about that. I do, however, have this desire to help people, but I just don't know if that's strong enough to sustain me. On the other side, the only type of photographer I would want to be is a nature photographer, and they (like the national geographic ones) seem to have to travel an aweful lot, so I don't know about that either.

Alright, I'm sorry It's so long, but I hope at least some of you will take the time to read this and reply with your advice, I really need some help here, I don't really know what to do.

Thanks, AJ

Jeff

Forum Ride Along
Hello, this is my first post here and I haven't started my EMT-B training yet either, but i'm going to say this.

I don't think it's the "blood and gore" aspect you need to analyze here, but where you actually want to be for your future. Look say 10 years down the road. Do you see yourself in the medical field, photography field, or being a pilot? Which would you enjoy more, and be most comfortable.

I'll let the pros here tell you about the blood and gore thing, because i'd like to know more about people getting past that as well. It isn't an issue for me, but i'm curious! :)

EDIT: I also found this while surfing the boards. http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=4754 You may be interested in reading this.

Last edited by a moderator:

stonez

Forum Crew Member
Hi

I don't think it is about becoming desensitized.
I think either you can handle blood and gore from the start or you can't.
I also agree on the part about becoming what you really want to.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
The most intelligent thing I could share is that you'll pretty much know once you dip your feet in the water. If it's too cold and you run, that's perfectly fine because, really, not everyone is up to this kind of work, and more important, way of being.

If, however you get a toe in and the next thing you know you're getting swept out to sea and discover you're perfectly okay with drifting out where the rip tide takes you, then you be in the fraternity like a lot of us are; you do the work not because you want to, but because you have to.

Having to, means being hooked on learning what it means to make critical decisions that change the course of lives under increasingly more complex circumstances.

It means learning how to orchestrate chaos into something manageable. It means finding hope where the glimmer has died and then pumping it until it breathes on its own. It means learning to balance silence with action. And most crucially, it means constantly putting yourself into the position of having to re-define who you are. You will meet the highs and lows of your humanity if you stay in EMS long enough.

And you can go through that in any position over the course of twenty years, but figure on this career track, you'll live it all in three!

If you're thinking this as a logical stepping-stone to the next phase, kind of like a required class you have to take, please, don't endure, it's not worth it. I've not known many medics who have thrived when their reason for being in the field was because it looks good on their resume, nor have I particularly felt that their patients got the best they could from them.

Ultimately, you'll stay because moment-to-moment your curiousity about this intense thing called life compels you to. You'll know you're there when you realize you've done nothing but routine transfers for months and that's fine because there's one guy walking around now who wouldn't be if you hadn't been there.

You'll know if it's the right choice, but probably because you looked back and saw that you actually did find something of value to pursue while you gave it a fair shot. Right now, your focus is mired in concerns about a future you can't live in until you try it out.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Most EMS calls lack the "gore" shown in the book. I wouldn't worry about it. Take the class. If you see too much "gore" on rotations than quit.

BEorP

Forum Captain
Inside, I found some of the most gruesome pictures of human suffering I have ever seen in my life.

I know I CAN become less sensitive to that, but I am wondering, if that's actually something I should strive for. It sounds like it would make me a much rougher person. Is this true? or can you still be desensitized to blood, wounds, etc, and still actually care, (ie, be sensitive to) or about individual's needs, etc. Do you know what I'm trying to say?

I realize that much of the reason I'm thinking about being a doctor is because of the prestige one gets, of the high income and steady work

In regards to the "blood and gore" kinda stuff, it is something to be considered, but also remember that the vast majority of calls that you will be doing will be medical rather than trauma. Yes, it does suck the first time you arrive on scene to find a head on collision with one guy dead before you even got there and yes that might make you feel emotions you didn't want to feel. But I will say again, these are rare calls and most (at least here in Ontario) will be stuff like shortness of breath and chest pain.

And yes, even when distancing yourself from some calls it is possible to actually care for others. It may be more difficult than if you never needed to try to forget a call or not let it bother you, but it is possible.

In terms of becoming a physician, may I ask where you are in school right now? There is a ton of education and very hard work and long hours to earn that money and prestige and there are many other careers where you could make good money and have a steady job.

My advice would be to do the EMT course. What is it, like 120 hours? No big loss if you decide it's not for you, right?

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
All I can say AJ is that its your choice and I can understand totally about how it may look in the pics but thats not all that they deal with. Bein an EMT is a good way to get a feel for the medical field,especially if you wanna be a doctor cuz then that way you can say that you know what its like being in the field.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
This may be wierd but my reaction to the gore in the books was totally different to my reaction to the gore in the field. The pictures grossed me out - in the field, I was so busy trying to do all the things I knew I was supposed to do and when I had a sec. to think about it I just wanted to make things better for the patient... wasn't bothered during or after by the gore... so.. I agree with what the others have said.. no way to know how you will do till you see...
Good luck

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
You said there were pictures of human suffering. Your choice of words tells me that perhaps this might not be a valid career choice for you. When I look at the pictures you refer to, I see MOI, physiology, what's torn, broken, what it doing to surrounding tissues. To me, its really interesting to see how the body reacts to specific traumas and how that translates to alterations in heart rate, BP, respirations etc. I do not react to this on an emotional level. The first nasty trauma call I responded to was a guy who punched a tree doing over 100 mph, turning the car into a ball of flame. One of my jobs was to go put cones and crime scene tape around the miscellaneous pieces of the guy we found on the roadside so they didn't get stepped on.

I find the calls with the frequent flier we have been treating for the last years of a progressive illness as they slowly succumb to their disease a lot more emotionally draining than the trauma. Being called out by law enforcement and seeing the meth-freak's 2 yo sleeping on a pile of garbage in a heatless, windowless travel trailer, or watching the progression of COPD on someone you've known as an active, physical sportsman. Those create emotional response because I am more witness than helper to the problems. Trauma is easy in comparison to those.

This job can be challenging. If you are thinking maybe not this early in the program, I'd listen to that inner voice and find something a bit more compatible to your personality type.

OP
OP
A

ajsellaroli

Forum Probie
Thank you

Thanks to all who have responded. As it turns out, I was talking to my dad about this subject, and after talking for a long time, it turns out I will be taking the class.

Beorp asked where I am in school right now, I just graduated from High School, going to college next year. This EMT course is a summer course I was going to take to help me decide whether medical was really an option for me.

And yes, I had actually decided to drop the course, but after thinking about it, and discussing it with my dad, (and reading some here) we decided that it would be better to not just skip this class, and move on towards a career in photography without even really trying some medical. Basically, I didn't want to have to think all my life "I wonder if I would have actually enjoyed that, or worked well there." I didn't want to regret it in the future. Being turned off by the pictures, though a little disheartening at first, doesn't seem to be enough of a reason to quit a class after all. Especially a class that can help me with this decision. Not so early in my college career, at least.

About Bossycow's comments, I think that I should still give it a try, don't you? It will only last the summer, and even if it completely turns me off to the whole thing, I will still not have completely wasted my time; I will have gained a lot of very applicable information. In my own home, my mother has been bed-ridden for the last 9 months, no driving, no nothing. And this was not the first time. She's had repeated problems with pulmonary embolisms, some nerve problems, etc. In fact, the doctors are having a very hard time determining what the cause of this recent problem is. Hospital trips are not rare, so I think that even if I never chose to become an emt, having the knowledge from this class could help my family, or people around me, should something happen in my presence.

So, thank you all, I would still love to hear more advice on dealing with the whole job, including the gore, etc, but I'm pretty sure my mind's made up about at least taking the class.

Thank you so much, you really don't know how much I appreciate this

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Your still young, and very few really know what they want to pursue in careers, even at thirty. You are smart though seeking advice before wasting time and money on a class. Later on in life if the interest still sparks you, EMT classes will still be there. As well as you age and mature, your interest might change as well, to explore EMS, if that so happens.

We wish you the best of luck, and good luck in your decisions!

R/r 911

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
You said there were pictures of human suffering. Your choice of words tells me that perhaps this might not be a valid career choice for you. When I look at the pictures you refer to, I see MOI, physiology, what's torn, broken, what it doing to surrounding tissues. To me, its really interesting to see how the body reacts to specific traumas and how that translates to alterations in heart rate, BP, respirations etc. I do not react to this on an emotional level.

If you are thinking maybe not this early in the program, I'd listen to that inner voice and find something a bit more compatible to your personality type.
Human suffering is, indeed, what those gruesome pictures are. I also see MOI, physiology, etc., but collectively those pictures, in their purest form, are human suffering. It is quite possible to help someone without completely distancing yourself. Do your job, but don't just see a set of numbers needing to be fixed. Instead see a human being that needs your help.

To the OP: If you look at it like I do, then you are alleviating that suffering for your fellow man in a time of crisis. Know that they are in pain, but do not ruminate on that fact.

Bossy, I know you are compassionate, but I just wanted the OP to know that getting depressed over the suffering is different from wanting to alleviate it.

P.S. Don't worry about not knowing what to do in an emergency. The majority of the curriculum is teaching you how to deal with emergencies, and after the course is over you are on a learning curve in the field that everyone goes through.

Last edited by a moderator:

drg

Forum Ride Along
It sounds as if you are struggling with the same thing I was just a few weeks ago. Check out the thread I started called "Dealing with the stuff you see" that is under the Training section on this site.

I'm proud of you for choosing to go through with the class. I think you'll be glad you did. Worst case scenario, it's better to try something and decide that you don't like it rather than to not try and always wonder if you should've. I can't tell you how many people are older and married with kids who have regrets about their career. They'd love to take a chance to do something else but they feel trapped because they've got to pay the bills. You're young enough to where you can venture out, try some things and not be too worried if they don't work out. The worst thing that could possibly happen is you decide it's not for you and even then, you still walk away with the knowledge that could potentially save someone's life.

I'm starting my 3rd week in EMT-Basic class this week. I AM SO GLAD that I decided to go through with this class. I think you will be, too. Please keep us updated as to your progress. Good luck!

OP
OP
A

ajsellaroli

Forum Probie
I read that entire thread "Dealing with the Stuff you See," and there is no way I can even express how much that helped me. I'm starting to feel like this forum is a big family, and I'm grateful to be joining it. thanks drg, ridryder, firetender, and everyone else who answered. I am very glad now that I decided to go through with it. After hearing about all this, I have to at LEAST try to make it work. If it doesn't, I can always do something else.
As for the update on my progress my First day of class is tomorrow, I'm a little nervous, I don't know what the instructor will be like, whether the other students will be my age, etc, but I'm looking forward to finding out tomorrow. I'm guessing we'll become pretty close in that class, especially since we'll be spending every saturday, from 8 - 4 together for the rest of the summer.

so, once again, thank you all, if you would like, i'd love to keep you updated on my progress, and i'll definitely be having more questions as I go through it :)

emtkelley

Forum Crew Member
I am happy you are give to give EMS a try. I don't think I have become desensitized after 10 years of this but even more fascinated with the way the human body works. I look at things differently now than I used to although there will always be those triggers that get to me. I still have trouble with vomit (ugh) and when little kids get sick and/or injured. I work past it and then afterwards, wonder how I got through it. I think, for me, that those are a few of the things that go with this job and I can't let those things get in the way of doing something I truly love. This job tends to define a person and I hope it will define you in a positive manner.

Good luck to you and let us know how things are going!

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
This may be wierd but my reaction to the gore in the books was totally different to my reaction to the gore in the field. The pictures grossed me out - in the field, I was so busy trying to do all the things I knew I was supposed to do and when I had a sec. to think about it I just wanted to make things better for the patient... wasn't bothered during or after by the gore... so.. I agree with what the others have said.. no way to know how you will do till you see...
Good luck

Me too...I was nervous about how I'd react to something really gore-y, but we had a very "fluid" environment recently on a GSW to the head (through and through, one side to the other) & I did fine. I had to hold c-spine as well as keep my gloved hand over the holes. I was too caught up in the call to get really grossed out, which kind of suprised me. Vomitus kind of bothered me (maybe b/c on that call, it was a sick person & there wasn't a lot of "stuff" going on around us on that call), but not as bad as I had imagined.

Now I haven't attended at a birth yet, so I might change my mind later!

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
I was priviledged to assist in the birth of my granddaughter... It was absolutely amazing.. I even checked out the placenta afterwards to make sure there wasn't a lobe missing.. Wonderful experience !

omak42

Forum Crew Member
i wish i had caught your comment sooner...but i am very glad to hear that you decided to go through with the class. if you truly enjoy helping others, this is definitely the field to be in. people look to us whenever they are in trouble and it is a good fealing to know that we made their life better. i can pretty much guarantee that you will not regret taking this class, regardless of whether you decide to pursue a career in the medical field.

sandboxmedic

Forum Crew Member
I'll tell you the same thing ive told countless of other students ive had. OK, gore is one thing but,..once your trained, you just treat, and you dont really recognize "mans inhumanity to man" anymore.This isnt a desensitization, its a progressive step into re-arranging your focus. Staring at that "bloody stump" isnt going to fix the problem, a tourniquet, and some IV fluids might.....
If you see something so gory, flesh torn up, and its so ugly you just cant stand it.......JUST DO THIS. COVER IT UP AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO SEE IT ANYMORE, i recommmend a large trauma pad, hold it tight, and re-assess, find something else ugly you can coverup if its bleeding, or looks bad enought to make you nauseaous...LOL. It really is that simple....
Also, keep in mind, in this field you see everyone on their worst day, and remember, its THEIR emergency,not yours.So, no need to get all wound up and bent out of shape about it, throw something on it, stop it from bleeding....give them some O2,.etc........
Here is why you should definitely take the class:Its a lesson in life, and, what happens if you get married and have kids? your child breaks an arm? cuts themselves on a glass? would you rather feel absolutely helpless and freak out over the gore? or have that Self-confidence, perseverance, and know how to say to yourself....ive seen that before, it looks ugly, but I CAN TREAT THIS, I CAN FIX THIS.......I CAN DO THIS??? The latter sounds better.....Go For It!

-Peace....