Need a debate, heres one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasha

Forum Chief
To be fair, once during an RN level CCT (staffing was 2 EMT-Bs and a RN) I had my EMT-B partner tell me that I shouldn't hook up the patient to the monitor because I "might shock the patient" through the electrodes. :rolleyes: The truly sad part was that he had more EMT-B experience than I had.

I would hope as an EMT getting ready to take her Paramedic test, this was not one of the reasons she wouldn't hook her up to a 3 lead.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Debate???...after reading this whole thread, it looks more like a mud slinging competition!
That being said...

In this Country, if you are asked to perform a skill which is not in your code of practice, you can only do so as requested
by a Medical Advisor and it has to be signed off by them or an attending doctor on the patient report form.

If you are training to learn new skills or at a higher level (EMT-P for instance)..
you can only perform those skills in the presents of another ambulance officer at that skill level or above.

I'm not sure whether the Sup. telling Ms.Medic that she was to connect the LP11 and run a strip...comes under the Management informing
you that you have permission to act at that level of training, in this case...I guess it does, if they take responsibility should there be a problem.
(Patient could have an allergic reaction to the sticky's!:), just joking!)

Ms Medic, you need to sit down with the Sup and go through it all, to get it clear on both sides!
Just other thing...re the medic that attended this job....did they say anything to you about the LP not being connected?

Cheers Enjoynz

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Debate???...after reading this whole thread, it looks more like a mud slinging competition!
That being said...

In this Country, if you are asked to perform a skill which is not in your code of practice...
I thought you said you read the whole thread. ;)

Ok, so we can better understand the situation, here are some questions for Ms. Medic:

1. Have you, as an EMT-B, ever attached an EKG to a patient for your paramedic partner?
2. Did you learn that skill before paramedic school?
3. Is it common practice for an EMT-B partner in your organization to attach patients to the EKG for their paramedic partner?
4. Have you ever been specifically told that you should not be attaching patients to the EKG for your paramedic partner?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Twenty years ago, it was easier to argue that an EMT should not be running an EKG. Back then, they did not administer injectable medications, give NTG, epi, albuterol, or defibrillate. But now, in the twenty-first century, when EMTs are being given more and more ALS responsibilities as a part of their basic training, it is simply impossible to argue that an EMT partnered with a paramedic should not be attaching those electrodes. Especially when it is well within their legal scope.

This quote just made me think of something else,,,,,OH LORD,,,,,here I go again, lol. But speaking of giving ntg, we as a basic in our service cannot give this. Nor can paramedics do rsi without going before our medical director and getting cleared. I hope that gives a little more insight as to how strict they are on medics. Which I believe is good in a way, but then it also leaves us in question when these types of situations come up. If we always have to walk on pins and needles, why would we want to chance getting in trouble all the time by doing things like this. Our service is full of micro-management, not defending myself, or being hostile to anyone, JUST FYI on our service.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Well. here we go again. You missed the whole point of restricting those that can administer medications that could potentially kill someone and attaching a simple ECG.

Now you are scaring me. You describe yourself as a graduate Paramedic and do not understand the reason why your Basic's cannot & should not administer NTG. You do understand the inferior AMI right?

As well, RSI should not be performed by general Paramedics but only by specialized Critical Care Paramedic that have a in depth and specialized education in pharmacology and specialized airway management skills.

I believe its not needles and pins they want, rather they want quality care and credibility (basically knowledgeable and thinking Paramedics). EMS is not black & white, it's gray; no matter how much some would like it to be. That is why some can make it and others cannot.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Well. here we go again. You missed the whole point of restricting those that can administer medications that could potentially kill someone and attaching a simple ECG.

Now you are scaring me. You describe yourself as a graduate Paramedic and do not understand the reason why your Basic's cannot & should not administer NTG. You do understand the inferior AMI right?

As well, RSI should not be performed by general Paramedics but only by specialized Critical Care Paramedic that have a in depth and specialized education in pharmacology and specialized airway management skills.

I believe its not needles and pins they want, rather they want quality care and credibility (basically knowledgeable and thinking Paramedics). EMS is not black & white, it's gray; no matter how much some would like it to be. That is why some can make it and others cannot.

R/r 911

OH MY GOD,

Seriously, get a life already. YES !!! I understand why they should not, of course I do, but most services I know of, a basic can give that med, its a basic skill. Geeze. If I make a simple comment about someone elses post, just to enlighten someone about our service, you have to pick this crap apart. LOL.

AND FYI : any medication "could" potentially kill someone. Administered by ANYONE.

And once again, Im not being hostile. Promise. MUAH.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
No but you cannot make your case. You are the one that decided use those poor analogies, not I.

I am not picking your post apart, just rather pointing out the obvious. You will learn, if you are going to defend yourself (as you will need to do a a Paramedic) to be sure to use better tactics. Make sure your defense is going to do that, not dig yourself into a hole.

OMG.. is a little bit dramatic as well.

Trust me, standing in front of your medical director answering questions of why you used such reasoning is much worse. Again, you will see what we are emphasizing when this occurs. The reason to be so anal is we have been there and learned with experience.... as you will too.

R/r 911

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Save the drama for the acting forums...

lock.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.