narrowed pulse pressure

emergancyjunkie

Forum Crew Member
why does a narrowed pulse pressure maintain adequate blood pressure for perfusion

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
In shock, a narrowed pulse pressure is usually attributed to decreased cardiac output either an inadequate preload in hypovolaemia or an obstructive problem such as tamponade.

However, vasoconstriction and the consequent reduction in vascular space can result in a narrower pulse pressure where the systolic value is normal and the diastolic raises.

This increases the mean arterial pressure (MAP = Diastolic Pressure + 1/3(Systolic Pressure - Diastolic Pressure) which is the measure of perfusion.

OP
OP
emergancyjunkie

emergancyjunkie

Forum Crew Member
so that would Be a protective mechanism for bleeding internally or externally

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
an obstructive problem such as tamponade.
Which is another cause of inadequate preload. Not trying to correct you or anything, just thought I would point that up.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Isn't it also a sign of pericardial tamponade?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
There is no real "equation" for tidal volume, but if you have a specific minute ventilation you want to target, you simply figure up what the volume of each breath will be and divide that number into the minute ventilation to figure out the rate (or vice versa to determine the volume if you have a rate you want). Honestly, given the lack of accuracy inherent in the devices used by EMTs and paramedics, it really isn't a huge issue. Just remember not to bag too fast and/or too deep. The rule I teach is 2-3 seconds for exhalation to every second you give for inhalation.

OP
OP
emergancyjunkie

emergancyjunkie

Forum Crew Member
is that for a bvm cause I was told in airway management to count 4 to five seconds after the bag inflates again