NAEMT PHTLS course questions

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Questions for all y'all. I recently completed a PHTLS class (after letting my old cert expire, so I had to do the complete class), and wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1) has anyone actually used the rolled up blanket method to remove someone from a motor vehicle? it seems to work pretty well, but in 20 years I've never seen it done anywhere except in PHTLS class

2) I thought there was a push to de-emphasize C spine issues, but every single patient in the practicals seemed to get a board and collar.

3) what are your thoughts on the alphabet classes? Do they provide useful education, or are they just a money grab by the creating agency?

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
3) what are your thoughts on the alphabet classes? Do they provide useful education, or are they just a money grab by the creating agency?

I think this is a two sided sword. For very experienced providers the education provided is minimal and the rigidity of the process limits high level providers. That being said if we consider the average provider and recognize that half of the group will fall below that there are many individuals who are new, low volume, in low acuity systems, need remediation, or otherwise have growth opportunities who do genuinely benefit from these classes.