My Ride Along (Clinical, Lab) Coming up Soon

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
I have heard here that some don't like the term "Ride Along" but that is what they are called on the sign-up form and at the school I attend, so I am not trying to offend or rub anyone the wrong way. That is just what they are called where I attend school. Now that is out of the way, I have mine coming up in 10 days and I am really looking forward to it. The dress policy is a white or light blue button or polo collared shirt and dark blue or black slacks, I have that covered. I do have a question that someone may have an answer to, would you bring your own stethoscope and penlight? In our school they are considered tools of the trade and we use them in each and every class. I don't want to make a bad impression and look dumb or over anxious, but I am comfortable with my own stuff and would like to have them if appropriate. We are required to have a minimun of 4 BLS contacts on our shift, and I could have them handy and ready to use if necessary. I understand the ambulance will more than likely already have them on board so maybe its something I should not even worry about. I also have note cards and a field guide that I use all the time, do you think bringing notes and/or books would be inappropriate?

Now for my next question, I asked to day if i could schedule more than one ride along and was told sure if I want to. I would really like to schedule at least 1-2 a week until the end of school which ends in mid August. Do you think it would be asking too much to try to schedule that many ride alongs, or should I just take advantage of the opportunity and just go for it? I think it would be a great learning experience, a good way to learn the system, and the best way to get as many patient contacts as possible. I would really appreciate any input you may have, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

spisco85

Forum Lieutenant
Bring your stethoscope, penlight, scissors, notes, books, pens, paper, and questions. A good trainer will be more than helpful trying to explain concepts to you and help you as much as possible.

If they let you sign up for extra go for it. As a side note try to coordinate with your class so you don't get extra when are people are still waiting to get their contacts.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
Yes, bring your own stethoscope at the very least probably your pen light as well. Bring your books or notes as many require you to study when not on a call. Do as many clinical rides as you can until you kind of start getting the hang of it. As a side note make sure you wear a watch and one with a second hand. I used to get a lot of third riders who wouldn't think to bring a watch because everyone and their brother just looks at their phone for the time. Just remember to be attentive and ask any questions you have.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
By all means bring your stethoscope, you should be getting practice on every patient you can get your hands on. Dont be shy but dont be cocky, practice your skills and you will have a great experience. I would ride out as much as you can as long as you dont annoy the agency your riding out with.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Definitely. If they have a go at you for being a noob and bringing all your gear, that's their problem.

On a related matter, I've found, as a student myself, that as you are riding to the job, esp if its serious, (or maybe at the start of the shift) to ask them what they expect of you and tell them what you are comfortable with doing, and what you'd like to be able to get out of it. It's a lot easier on scene to comfortably get involved in some small way like listening to their lungs, if you have okay'd it before you got there. Just a thought. :)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Ever thought about asking your instuctor or fellow students? Stethoscope yes, ink pen yes (especially for your own clnical book.chart) & penlight (I guess, haven't carried one of those in years).

Your school should had informed you of what to bring. Make a statement to your instructor so next time, students will be prepared.

R/r 911

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Ever thought about asking your instuctor or fellow students? Stethoscope yes, ink pen yes (especially for your own clnical book.chart) & penlight (I guess, haven't carried one of those in years).

Your school should had informed you of what to bring. Make a statement to your instructor so next time, students will be prepared.

R/r 911

Rid, if you don't carry a penlight then how do you fill out a complete PCR, which includes assessing pupil reaction? Failing to assess and fill this out is a serious breech of proper protocol.

timmy84

Forum Crew Member
For my class we are required to bring a pen, stethoscope, and penlight. They are considered part of the "uniform". I have not done mine yet, but I have a little sheet in my class binder for when I do.