My mom is sick

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
My mom has been sick and I'd like your opinions. She was white as a ghost a couple of nights ago with alternating periods of sweating and mostly chills. She had moderately severe pn in her lower abdominal and pubic area with some uncontrolled urination (which is normal but not to this degree). No pn with urination, no blood in urine, no cloudy urine, no foul smelling urine. She does have a hx of UTI every so often and she took some ciprofloxacin that night. The next morning she saw the doc who did a culture and later ruled out UTI. No other medical hx I can think of and she's going back to have more blood work done to test liver and kidney function. She still feels weak with abdominal pn. What do you guys think.

P.S. yes, her vitals were fine.

Oh yea, they did detect a tiny amount of blood in her urine too.

islandgal

Forum Crew Member
Did they r/o kidney stones? How old is your Mom? Any fever?? What blood work did they do? Is the abd pain intermittent or constant?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Did they r/o kidney stones? How old is your Mom? Any fever?? What blood work did they do? Is the abd pain intermittent or constant?

Mom is 60 ish, no fever, don't know the exacts on blood work, abd pn constant. I refuse to believe it's kidney stones but they didn't rule it out and I guess it's a possibility.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I passed a stone with pretty much the same symptoms as you described.

My mom has been having abdominal pain for a while... she had a gi series today, she had some polyps removed, and she has gastritis, so they gave her nexium basically.

islandgal

Forum Crew Member
Gastritis typically there is vomiting and more "heartburn" type symptoms and upper abd pain. Why do you r/o kidney stones? With the hematuria and pain it seems to lean in that direction....anyway, I would ask for the blood work results.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Mom

I sure would like the doctor to do either an ultrasound of the area or a CT scan to see whats going on in there. I hope she is feeling better soon.:)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I don't have much medical advice to add, but I hope she gets better soon. Keep us updated!

OP
OP
G

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks for your replies. Mom is feeling better and the doctor said it was probably related to menopause but I'm not so sure. Anyway, it's interesting that some people pass kidney stones with these symptoms...

Epi-do

I see dead people
Glad to hear your mom is feeling better. I hope she is 100% in no time!