My first shift

High Speed Chaser

Forum Crew Member
So I was on my first shift with a responder team at an AFL match. It started off with a lady coming in to Etihad Comms (Etihad is the name of a stadium). with something in her eye, flushed it with water and it turned out to be mascara :sad:.

Then assigned on to a response team at a first aid room. We got a call out to someone who fell but when we got there, there was nothing so we went and got something to eat. WE made sure no one needed our help.

Then we got a person coming in saying this other person was feeling very sick. Nurse on call thought it was most likely flu (seasonal). Sent the person home to rest with instruction that if they still felt sick in the morning, a doctor should be seen.

Then got a young child who got soap in his eye and father told him to rub his eye. It only exacerbated the discomfort as he had more soap on his hand. Flushed out with water and he was better.

Waited a while and then we got a call to a fight. Call came in over the radio that the patient was bleeding heavily. I got an adrenaline rush. We ran there and when we arrived, he was not bleeding badly. Some blood from the ear lobe. He refused treatment, signed the necessary forms and we got out quickly as a lot of people were drunk in that particular area. We didn't want to stick around even with plenty of security and police there.

Then the rest of the night was really quiet. Got a lecture on proper use of the AEDs and the major differences between AEDs and manual defibs and mono and bi phasic defibs.

I can't wait to get back out there again :).

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Its an awesome rush the first time eh. Even when it is a dud call. What company do you work for? I've been trying to figure out how I can get a responder/first aid job while I'm studying. Will I need a formal cert or will half a degree past muster?

OP
OP
High Speed Chaser

High Speed Chaser

Forum Crew Member
Its an awesome rush the first time eh. Even when it is a dud call. What company do you work for? I've been trying to figure out how I can get a responder/first aid job while I'm studying. Will I need a formal cert or will half a degree past muster?

St John Ambulance. All you need is level 2 first aid and they can do that for $25 I think. You get to choose which events you go to. It also looks good when you apply for a job with AV, so I'm told. I would be glad to work along side you. http://www.stjohnvic.com.au/
Once you graduate you can stay with St John as well and do advanced stuff such as ACMT where you work with other doctors, nurses and paramedics and I think can do stuff that CPG allow you to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
St John Ambulance. All you need is level 2 first aid and they can do that for $25 I think. You get to choose which events you go to. It also looks good when you apply for a job with AV, so I'm told. I would be glad to work along side you. http://www.stjohnvic.com.au/

Oh of course, I think you said once that you were in St Johns. I was wanting to get a job with one of the little companies around the place that do the same thing. But I reckon I might give St. John a go, just for fun and experience. Thanks mate.