My first medical situation

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Hands up. Does anybody think the question I gave him is hard at all? Look at my qualifications? It's so easy a basic can do it. ;)

Edit: *makes loud bell sound when you get a question wrong* If you were playing EMT, I'd believe you, but you're playing Paramedics, and a Paramedic would know this without looking at it! Okay... maybe they would need to look at it (well, unless I describe it too them), but I am gonna put my money on you don't know what it is and you're not a Paramedic. British or not, your ECG strips aren't gonna be different.

Now, I'm not top dog of the forums, but you're not gonna get brownie points from people like me (and it looks like from others too) unless if you either start showing you're a Paramedic or just fess up that you aren't. It's okay. When I joined the forums, I just got my First Responder cert (equivalent to being below a bone head EMT). It's nice to watch people grow on here, learn, etc. Don't need false information to confuse newbies. This is a fun place for everyone, you don't have to be a Paramedic to be respected. :) I am sure everyone will forgive you if either of those two things start happening. C'mon man.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
tom

tom

Forum Crew Member
Arrhythmia - medical term for irregular hearteat

Sassafras

Forum Captain
what signs did he have of having a stroke?

Non responsive with right side facial droop and drooling, staring into space, weird sluggish pupils like I'd never seen before reacting irregularly, but both eventually reacting, rapid shallow respirations and a heart rate that kept disappearing as I tried to count making me think my fingers were not placed properly. Pulse ox down to 71%. Hypotonic, slumped over in wheel chair. BP 90s over 50s.

Then when he regained responsiveness and he began complaining of heartburn with shoulder pain that moved down his arm. Very weak, difficulty keeping eyes open somewhat like a post dictal state, but it did not seem like a seizure at the time.

I thought "great, how did he go from stroke symptoms to heart attack?" Once responsive was able to push and pull and hand grasp equally, but seemed weak.

Truthfully, I'm totally clueless and apparently so was everyone else.

Medics arrived did the 12 lead and one of the strips looked a lot like the example above.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
ok yes Arrhythmia its the propper terminology, but hell im gonna call it here, that was a pvc!!! as wikipedia can give alot of answers to internet users i wont ask anymore

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Arrhythmia - medical term for irregular hearteat

So that's what you would tell the doctor when bringing a patient in with that strip? That would go over well.

Dude I agree with Aprz... you're digging yourself in a hole. It's pretty darn clear that you have lied. Show a bit of character and admit to it rather than clinging to your lie and burying yourself deeper.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
Non responsive with right side facial droop and drooling, staring into space, weird sluggish pupils like I'd never seen before reacting irregularly, but both eventually reacting, rapid shallow respirations and a heart rate that kept disappearing as I tried to count making me think my fingers were not placed properly. Pulse ox down to 71%. Hypotonic, slumped over in wheel chair. BP 90s over 50s.

Then when he regained responsiveness and he began complaining of heartburn with shoulder pain that moved down his arm. Very weak, difficulty keeping eyes open somewhat like a post dictal state, but it did not seem like a seizure at the time.

I thought "great, how did he go from stroke symptoms to heart attack?" Once responsive was able to push and pull and hand grasp equally, but seemed weak.

Medics arrived did the 12 lead and one of the strips looked a lot like the example above.

as i read that i just thought "i think its time to act fast"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8nZlwndwb4

also was it a single pvc or a string of them?

Sassafras

Forum Captain
I remember seeing more than episode like that as it strung along. And yes, we were trying to act fast. This whole situation took place in a span of about 8 minutes from realizing he wasn't acting normal to medic arrival and transferr of care to them. When he came to he was oriented for his normallacy, but VERY tired. I totally felt helpless but was irritated w/ a white coat that literally froze so I forced myself to keep looking, talking to him and refusing to let him go back to sleep after he regained "conciousness" for lack of a better word (eyes were open during episode so not sleeping).

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Tom why don't you just give us your registration number or name so I can check the HPC database? That will prove once and for all that you are a paramedic. I'd like to see some kind of proof that's really your name though, like an email from your agency-issued account or an established Facebook.

You can PM it to me if you don't want the world to know for privacy reasons, and in a fair trade I will give you my full name and the government website you can verify my certification on.

OP
OP
tom

tom

Forum Crew Member

did the hospital tell you what had actually happend to him?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
So that's what you would tell the doctor when bringing a patient in with that strip? That would go over well.

Dude I agree with Aprz... you're digging yourself in a hole. It's pretty darn clear that you have lied. Show a bit of character and admit to it rather than clinging to your lie and burying yourself deeper.
+1 Yeh, c'mon man. No hard feelings. We are giving you a chance here. :) It's okay, I understand. We all sometime make ourselves bigger than what we actually are. It's understandable. :)

By the way, gotta do this. *bing!* PVC is the correct answer! It's normal in people with a lot of stress, drink a lot of caffeine, etc... A lot of people don't even feel it, but if they do, they describe it as a skip beat sometime.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
I did not transport so unless I go back to that facility for another transport and ask I won't find out. I am interested in knowing though because I have transported this person and found him very sweet and endearing so it pulled on the heart strings a bit.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
+1 Yeh, c'mon man. No hard feelings. We are giving you a chance here. :) It's okay, I understand. We all sometime make ourselves bigger than what we actually are. It's understandable. :)

By the way, gotta do this. *bing!* PVC is the correct answer! It's normal in people with a lot of stress, drink a lot of caffeine, etc... A lot of people don't even feel it, but if they do, they describe it as a skip beat sometime.

i get the odd one every now and then, but in work i am stressed and drink waay to much energy drinks, its really good to actually understand what it really feels like when trying to explain to noobs i let them take my radial and you can quite easily feel it.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Well, guys... I got work. Don't even work as an EMT yet, hehe, I sell chicken wings for $8.50/hour! :D Y'all have fun. Tom, really, don't be embarrassed. It's okay. I am sure you can't be as bad as me selling chicken. Fess up man. Everyone is doing it. Peer pressure!

See ya guys.

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
Well, guys... I got work. Don't even work as an EMT yet, hehe, I sell chicken wings for $8.50/hour! :D Y'all have fun. Tom, really, don't be embarrassed. It's okay. I am sure you can't be as bad as me selling chicken. Fess up man. Everyone is doing it. Peer pressure!

See ya guys.

Where?! Buffalo Wild Wings?
Let me know so next time we take an LD/CCT up north I can come get some wings.

I love wings.

EDIT: OR BETTER YET... HOOTERS?!?!?!?!?! Hahaha, I had to ask.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
If you like seeing a guy in tight shorts and tight shirt, sure. Hooters. ;) Nah, I work at Wing Stop. Done with my shower. Now I really gotta go!

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
If you like seeing a guy in tight shorts and tight shirt, sure. Hooters. ;) Nah, I work at Wing Stop. Done with my shower. Now I really gotta go!

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. My mistake.
That's the only response I have.

I still like wings though.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I was about 12, in yr 8 at school, i had just completed my First Aid Course with the Army Cadet Force.

Another likely hole in your story.

I am not from the UK and know nothing about the Army Cadet force, but with some research found that age 12 is the absolute youngest they will let you join. In their basic training, the extent of the first aid they teach is essentially "when and how to call 999."

According to their training syllabi, the kind of stuff you describe comes in to play at the "One-Star" level or higher. And a direct quote from their one-star syllabus: "A cadet would not normally complete One-Star before the age of 14 years."

OP
OP
tom

tom

Forum Crew Member
Another likely hole in your story.

I am not from the UK and know nothing about the Army Cadet force, but with some research found that age 12 is the absolute youngest they will let you join. In their basic training, the extent of the first aid they teach is essentially "when and how to call 999."

According to their training syllabi, the kind of stuff you describe comes in to play at the "One-Star" level or higher. And a direct quote from their one-star syllabus: "A cadet would not normally complete One-Star before the age of 14 years."

i went for my basic training at Westdown camp, Sailsbury Plain. By det was Old Hill, county was Staffordshire & West Midlands (North Sector) ACF. if we passed a part of training at the detachment, we would go onto the next star level training in that training area