My first declaration of death.

Dobby

Forum Probie
So hows this for my very first declaration of death ...........

Travelling on my way home last friday, eager to rush home grab the surf board and go catch a couple of waves when I notice that suddenly there are no cars going in the same direction as me ,except they all coming past me in the opposite direction flashing their lights at us. My initial reaction was huh....whats wrong with the car??.....until I noticed lights and sirens everywhere..... oh and a Heli in the middle of the road. Huge accident of note!!!

So to cut a long story short I end up having to declare 3 patients dead (MY fisrt time!!) the first patient has my exact same birthday..and the last patient happened to be a colluege's family member ! How wacked is that??

So Im just wondering anyone else out there with similar expieriences? Not sure if this type of thing has been posted before......

firecoins

IFT Puppet
So you off duty with emergency personnell on scene, why were you declaring anyone dead. You jumped from arriving on scene to declaring 3 people dead.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I was wondering that, but I'm guessing it has to do with being in SA.

OP
OP
Dobby

Dobby

Forum Probie
I was on my way home, in my private car, in uniform, when I came across this accident scene. The road was closed off so I pulled over, and some of the emergency personnell on scene noticed me (from the same Ems service) and ask me to jump out and lend a hand.

(I would have had to wait an hour or so anyway before I could pass through with my car)

So I figured no problem,why not..asked the senior where I could help and was asked to declared 3 patients very obviously dead.....

Sorry for the confusion..

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Partly cultural, So.Af versus US of A

Most places here no EMT can declare death.

sdemtb

Forum Crew Member
I didn't think an EMT could declare dead unless it was obvious, (Decap, incineration, etc...) Only Law Enforcement or the Coroner can pronounce?

Hockey

Quackers
Its South Africa boys and girls. They do things a LOT different then here in the states. Trust me ;)

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I didn't think an EMT could declare dead unless it was obvious, (Decap, incineration, etc...) Only Law Enforcement or the Coroner can pronounce?
Here only the Coroner can pronounce. MDs can pronounce id death occurred in hospital.

Forum Probie
we use the term "injuries incompatible with life" anything else gets the cornoner unless the injuries make you rethink!

AusMed

Forum Crew Member
We can also pronounce deceased in circumstances. At times we get calls from Police to attend so that someone can be pronounced deceased.
Don't have to commence CPR (or continue) if:
* Rigor mortis/decomp etc
* Ordered by doctor on scene
* Injuries incompatible with life
* Refractory asystole

Once we pronounce, the job is handed over to Police (or local doctor depending on circumstances/situation).

OP
OP
Dobby

Dobby

Forum Probie
It certainly is a very interesting topic ...the different scopes of practices in different countries. Sorry I didnt mean to confuse anyone but yes here in South Africa Emt's are allowed to declared dead from An Ils (EMT-I) level up. The only time we are not allowed to declare is if we( EMT-I) have started active cpr then we have to wait for advanced life support to come and declare(Emt-P) , unless we exhaust ourselves before the Emt-P arrives which I hardly ever heard of.

Yes things down here work a bit differently but I have always admired the U.S.A Emt standards , we take a great deal of learning from such an amazingly advanced country and It is one of my greatest dreams to be able to come over and work a shift observer/volley, whatever it takes one day.

AusMed

Forum Crew Member
I actually met a former South African paramedic the other day.
It was his first shift on road with my Service and he had 20 or 30 years experience as a Paramedic in SA.
He seemed like a top bloke. I told him things might be a little quieter around here compared to SA, especially in the area he was stationed.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We are given criteria under which we do not have to attempt CPR. Signs of obvious death such as decapitation, decomposition, rigor, asystole in two leads... but this is different from a declaration of death. Sort of like the R/O, we are saying... we're thinking this guy might be dead.. still requires a coroner to 'make it so'. Just means we don't gotta touch him cuz he's icky.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
In some areas and instances can't law enforcement declare?

So I've been told but never saw it on paper.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
We are given criteria under which we do not have to attempt CPR. Signs of obvious death such as decapitation, decomposition, rigor, asystole in two leads... but this is different from a declaration of death. Sort of like the R/O, we are saying... we're thinking this guy might be dead.. still requires a coroner to 'make it so'. Just means we don't gotta touch him cuz he's icky.

x2. We have certain patients that we don't have to work at all. And certain measures that once met we can stop working a patient in the field but we never technically declare them dead.