My field and clinicals suck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
I cant believe how disappointed I am with my field and clinicals. Our city ambulance company I ride for my field study is not at all what I expected... to put it nicely. Hell, I choose I work for a rural ems company and commute. Trust me.

The back of the ambulance i ride in for field study is 103 degrees. I know this because their computer in the back tells me so. I wonder what that does to the shelf life of their drugs? Hmmmm. What does that do to me in full ems garb with pressed whites? Nothing good.

Also, and the reason I am REALLY pissed, is one of my preceptors wont let me do the med reports on the truck. Im required to complete four. He says, "Nah. You need to listen to me do them." I do them at work everyday you pretentious *******!!!

BOTTOM LINEl: It is in my humblest of opinions that my school does not require enough blood draws or IV's and requires way too many PCRs for intermediates. This method and requirements are too unbalanced for anyone to ever become confident in their skills. I am certain that I am not operating at my full potential because I have not and will not get to do enough IV's among other things. In short, I suck!... and Im not going to be good enough by the time I have my license to operate safely and comfortable within my scope.

Here is my required criteria below:

10 ILS/ALS patient care reports from the hospital
10 ILS/ALS patient care reports from the emergency setting (truck)
20 succesful blood draws
15 successful IV's
4 IV med pushes
2 Neb treatments
4 radio reports given
4 radio reports listened to.

Screw the nebs. If you are a basic, you better know nebs. Sure, maybe some people are not practicing basics and have never done a radio report prior to this, but DONT keep me from doing what I am required!!

Tell me what you think ppl. My current answer to this problem is to do the field and clinicals twice. If the school wont let me then I will let them know that I will not be joining their paramedic program (which I have no intention of doing anyway, but they may never know. hah!)

-pf

Last edited by a moderator:

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I'll trade you. I can't even FIND an EMT-I class around here, and everyone tells me that it'd be useless anyway. ;-)

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll tell you honestly what I think, especially after answering the other thread you started. YOUR ATTITUDE SUCKS!!!!! PERIOD! Sorry to be blunt, but using the term "pretentious *******" isn't showing a productive learning attitude. You are there to learn, what you do at work everyday is irrelevant. You do PCR's to gain competency and proficiency, advancing to ALS isn't all about playing with cool toys and doing skills. As it has been said before on numerous occasions, a monkey can do skills. An educated medic is one that can treat patients. Do what your preceptor tells you. Or go home. If you think there is a problem, then bring it up to your school. Otherwise, you are on their time and should at least have the decency to try to learn something.

OP
OP
pfmedic

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
well... apparently I stepped on a nerve... typical that it was a cc who got pissed... and you seemed to have missed my point. Hope tomorrow we both have a nicer day.

OP
OP
pfmedic

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
By the way, I used the title "pretentious *******" because I was angry and my preceptor does think he is awesome. I have a feeling you do as well because you got pissed off that power was not synonymous with respect in this particular case.

Its human nature to turn a little cold the more power you get. However, I am preturbed that as a cc you reacted to my posting the way you did.

The point was that the program is not designed to build an intermediate who is ready to practice and I wanted to hear others comments about that. Instead you got all hung up on something that was entirely secondary.

It would appear that this often happens in this forum.

I know my place and my attitude IS correct. I suck and I need to improve... or is that not what I said... ? lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm fairly sure you asked what people think:

Tell me what you think ppl.

And you got a candid response.

Its human nature to turn a little cold the more power you get.

And that's when I stop posting in this thread. You clearly weren't looking for a response, but instead just a place to vent. Maybe next time don't ask for feedback, or reply with personal attacks.

All this coming from an EMT-Basic... so you know I MUST be caring!

GaEMT

Forum Crew Member
Guess who goes to court when the **** hits the fan and the PCR is bad? (or the PCR was a "learning excercise") You won't be there but the medic will be........Guess whose report I want in front of me? MINE not yours. You get out of clinicals what you put into it. I have had some great students ride third and I have had some which I could not wait to get rid of to some I got rid off after 2 hours. I mean come on, what do you expect them to let you do? If you complain and have the "attitude" you aren't going to take a BP on my truck, much less something complex. It is like everything else in life, you don't like it, McDonalds is hiring. You better learn to play the game and not expect everything your way becasue it doesn't happen that way. Grow up

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
pfmedic said:
By the way, I used the title "pretentious *******" because I was angry and my preceptor does think he is awesome. I have a feeling you do as well because you got pissed off that power was not synonymous with respect in this particular case.

Its human nature to turn a little cold the more power you get. However, I am preturbed that as a cc you reacted to my posting the way you did.

The point was that the program is not designed to build an intermediate who is ready to practice and I wanted to hear others comments about that. Instead you got all hung up on something that was entirely secondary.

It would appear that this often happens in this forum.

I know my place and my attitude IS correct. I suck and I need to improve... or is that not what I said... ? lol.

Actually, my day was perfect yesterday, it was my birthday. Had a wonderful time with family and friends....

Now back to the subject at hand..............

I agree with you, you do suck. Reason being, you cannot take any form of constructive critisism. Instead you throw the whole topic into some left field, "power trip" excuse as to why you are right and someone else is wrong. You sir are a student, you are there to learn and to learn with the methodology that your school dictates. If they tell you to do a million PCR's, then thats what you do. If you don't like it, you can find another school. I am so glad that you have the fortitude and knowledge to imply what you should be doing on these clinical, but stop and think for just one moment......

Perhaps the ciriculum and training program was designed by someone who may know just a little more than you as an EMT-I student!!!!!!!

Your advancement to the ALS level is nothing special, people do it all the time and in all honesty, if I were your program director and received feedback like this about your attitude, I'd throw your *** out of my program.

good day!

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Ok, I'm closing this thread. I can't picture anything constructive coming out of this in the future.

Please let's keep our egos in check and our conversations civil and constructive, without personal attacks.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.