My EMT-B Class

Jackson

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys so EMTNinja and I just started our EMT-B class yesterday and I must say I love it already. Our instructor is the bomb dot com. He's so laid back and has a genuine passion for EMS. :) I was surprised to find that the majority of our class is female. (9 female, 3 male) Our instructor "Tony" says he designs the tests so that the class average is between 68-74, because he wants to challenge us and push us to the limit. He doesn't want us to just know the answer but understand why that answer is correct. ^_^ I like this guy.

sylvesmith

Forum Ride Along
Where in sc are u taking these classes?.........will be making a relocation change too sc and if the classes here are good then i'll scratch taking the classes up here in nyc....

OP
OP
Jackson

Jackson

Forum Crew Member
Midlands Technical College. It's a great school. I reccommend it! :)

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
^_^ I like this guy.

i don't. Designing the test with a goal of a class average in the high 60's sounds like bad juju. especially since so many of the questions typically asked in EMT programs are finicky to begin with

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Jackson

Jackson

Forum Crew Member
Well That's just for the tests. If we do the other work that is assigned then we can come out of the class well into the 90's.

JPINFV

Gadfly
i don't. Designing the test with a goal of a class average in the high 60's sounds like bad juju. especially since so many of the questions typically asked in EMT programs are finicky to begin with

As long as the person designing the tests knows what they're doing, the percent really doesn't matter. Heck, the policy in my o-chem classes during undergrad was a 75% on the final was an automatic A, but the exams were designed such that the average grade on an exam was in the low 60's. As such, I'd personally rather see a teacher challenge his/her students with a hard exam knowing that they can curve it, if need be, than give a softball exam where the class average is 95%.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
As long as the person designing the tests knows what they're doing, the percent really doesn't matter. Heck, the policy in my o-chem classes during undergrad was a 75% on the final was an automatic A, but the exams were designed such that the average grade on an exam was in the low 60's. As such, I'd personally rather see a teacher challenge his/her students with a hard exam knowing that they can curve it, if need be, than give a softball exam where the class average is 95%.

True. at any rate my EMS teachers didn't know what they were doing when they wrote their own tests.

EMSNicky24

Forum Ride Along
Sweet

glad you're liking it! I am as well! I just started three months ago and I love it! I'm in Illinois and our test average for the class is around an 80. In my class you must maintain a 80 average to stay in the class or you are dropped no refund. is your class the same way?

lampnyter

Forum Captain
My class had to have an 70 average to stay because his tests were so damn hard lol. I passed with flying colors though.

EMSNicky24

Forum Ride Along
My class had to have an 70 average to stay because his tests were so damn hard lol. I passed with flying colors though.

Yeah these test are extremely hard, but talk about a sense of relief and accomplishment after you pass those test! Our class started with 27 students and we are now at 9 after the second test! 2 more to go!

CAO

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah these test are extremely hard, but talk about a sense of relief and accomplishment after you pass those test! Our class started with 27 students and we are now at 9 after the second test! 2 more to go!

Haha, two more tests, or students to drop? :p

My class had to maintain a 75 average. Tests were of course the majority of that final average, but we also had homework and an affective grade that addressed attendance, uniform compliance, and general attitude. A minimum of 75 was also required for the final exams.

We had a class of just under 20, and only one dropped during class. A couple weren't able to participate in our practical assessments because of not completing clinicals among other things, and one more failed her practical several times. Come to think of it, I don't know if she ever passed after the refresher course.

Charmeck

Forum Crew Member
I wanna say my basic class started with 40 and ended with about 15. Keep your nose in the book. It won't seem hard looking back, but at the time, some concepts may be hard to grasp initially.

OP
OP
Jackson

Jackson

Forum Crew Member
We have to maintain a 70 in order to pass. I'm a quick learner and most things click on the first try so I'm not worried about not passing. I read the first two chapters of the textbook before the class started and then we were assigned to read chapters 1 - 3 + the workbook assignments as our first homework assignment. We start skills practice next week! :D We got 16 pages of NREMT skill sheets and the instructor said that by the end of the course we would know all of them in our sleep. haha.

OP
OP
Jackson

Jackson

Forum Crew Member
Ok so we had our first Exam last week. My instructor says he makes his tests hard...I made an A. :D The highest grade in the class. I thought it was a breeze. I'm sure it gets tougher but I'm ready.

OP
OP
Jackson

Jackson

Forum Crew Member
Second Exam: Also got the highest grade. Gotten two nicknames so far : The brain and tiny lol

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
My EMT class required that you had an 80 percent or above. If you class grade dropped below an 80 you were released from the class. I personally liked this because it required the students to study and know the material. The test were not just over the chapter you just learned, it had material from all the chapters that have been covered up to that point.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
Glad to see that you're enjoying class. It's great, you'll love it when you finish class and get in the real world working as an EMT.

My basic class started with 78 and we finished with 22 or 24 (can't remember exactly). We had to maintain an 80 average, at any point in class if our average dropped below an 80 we were kicked out of the class...I think that's why so many people ended up dropping the class.

Anyway, goodluck!