My "Big" Save

armywifeemt

Forum Lieutenant
This is somewhat tongue in cheek, since I am pretty sure that if I hadn't come along everything would have been fine. You never know though, so I am putting it in the "win" column.

I've been contemplating the possibility of staying a volunteer and not trying to turn EMS into a job. I love it, and I don't want to wind up getting burnt out on it. I know too many people who have hit the end of that path, or are already well on there way down it.

I recently had an experience that may have changed my mind though.

I was at the gas station picking up a quick snack on my way to run errands, and as I was checking out, the 9 month old daughter of the lady working at the gas station started, "choking." By choking I mean she had a partial airway obstruction, since she was crying, and still breathing somewhat although you could actually hear the difficulty she was having every time she inhaled. After about 30 seconds of this, with some back patting, when it didn't stop momma freaked out and asked us to call 911. So I dialed on my cell phone, sat it down on the counter -directing one of the other customers to pick it up, told momma that I was an EMT and asked for the baby, . I did some back blows, even though we don't usually do them unless the airway is full obstructed, and the piece of food that caused the whole thing came right up. The baby calmed down, momma calmed down, and she told the 911 dispatcher that everything was fine.

Admittedly, this isn't exactly the heroic save that most of us dream of, but I gave the mother some peace of mind, helped the baby since I am sure she was also scared out of her mind, and I got to feel like a million bucks all day because I did something to help someone else.

This may not be the epitome of what I joined this field for, but it is one of those little pleasant surprises that comes along. Sometimes just knowing what is going on and how to handle the situation is enough to at least make another person's day go a little better than it would have.

This was the first time my training has ever come in handy outside of my volunteering at the fire department, and it is the only time I have ever been the only person who had any idea how to handle an emergency medical situation of some sort.

It was good.

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
this isn't exactly the heroic save that most of us dream of

No one who expects heroics lasts long in this field. Be proud of what you did. You left the patient better than you found them. That is all anyone can ask of an EMS professional.

Phaedrus

Forum Ride Along
Good on you! No, it's not glory but just the simple human desire to help a fellow hominid. Another person was in distress and was fortunate to be so in the company of someone who knew what do do. Don't downplay what you did. You did good.B)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
And your shoes remained clean.

Extra points!;)

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
...it is one of those little pleasant surprises that comes along. Sometimes just knowing what is going on and how to handle the situation is enough to at least make another person's day go a little better than it would have.

(YOU STARTED WITH...)

This may not be the epitome of what I joined this field for, but...

...It IS the essence of the work. The only difference is in degrees. And "little" stuff like this is often fuel enough for you to stay in the game another six months, until the next situation where you really can dispel pain and suffering.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I did some back blows, even though we don't usually do them unless the airway is full obstructed, and the piece of food that caused the whole thing came right up.

It was good.

Darn skippy it was good!! Let's look at it from 180 degrees out: kid is partially obstructed on food and you're *not* there. Chaos ensues and an untrained but well-meaning person tries to help and lodges the food further down. Now baby is blue, no one has called 911 yet because everyone forgot, and the kid is dying. 911 is finally called, but rescue squad/ambulance is delayed; mom decided to throw kid in car and make a mad rush to the hospital. Enroute, she is crying so hard she never sees the red light and broadsides the truck turning left in the intersection. Mom and baby are both DRT due to head trauma/(obstructed airway in kid's case).

Over the top and melodramatic? Yeah, maybe, but maybe not. The papers are filled with awful stories like this. The worst outcomes normally occur because the chain of events leading up to them wasn't broken by the simplest action. You were there and made a positive difference; you can't do better than that, m'dear; well done!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

armywifeemt

Forum Lieutenant
Easy enough to believe... even the best of worst case scenarios has the baby going into full on respiratory arrest. Most of the time, though, they just get it up on their own. Which is why I felt like it could have gone way worse, but probably would not have, with or without my intervention.

Of course, the well meaning but untrained person I am thinking of is my idiot husband who when I got home and started telling him about what happened immediately jumped in and asked if I did a finger sweep.

I don't know about other places, but up here we don't even think of doing finger sweeps any more, both because of the risk to us and the risk to the patient...

So I cocked my head to the side, told him to shut up and listen to the story or I'd stop telling him what happened, and he proceeded to follow my advice because he knew it would bug him the rest of the day if he didn't know what happened.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
So I cocked my head to the side, told him to shut up and listen to the story or I'd stop telling him what happened, and he proceeded to follow my advice because he knew it would bug him the rest of the day if he didn't know what happened.

Just had to say, "YES!!!"