Munchausen Syndrome

EMT B

Forum Captain
I was digging around for the pathophysiology in Munchausen Syndrome, and although there is nothing concrete, one source ( cant find the link unfortunately ) stated that SPECT analysis of the brain showed hyperperfusion to the right hemithalamus of the brain. When looking up the right hemithalamus online, I couldn't find much as to what this part of the brain actually does. anyone here know?

Anonymous

Forum Captain
The thalamus is a two part structure. Hemithalamus is just referring to one side of the thalamus. I believe both the right and left thalamus are thought of as functionally equivalent (although there is some evidence to the contrary). In a nut shell the thalamus modulates the flow of information into the cortex.

Anonymous

Forum Captain
The thalamus is a two part structure. Hemithalamus is just referring to one side of the thalamus. I believe both the right and left thalamus are thought of as functionally equivalent (although there is some evidence to the contrary). In a nut shell the thalamus modulates the flow of information into the cortex.