Multiple Jobs/Careers in EMS/Police

BassoonEMT

Forum Crew Member
I am near completion of two Bachelors degrees, one in Music Education, and another in Music Performance. I am serving as the Chief of my campus rescue squad, and I also work as a dispatcher for my University Police, so in trying to figure out where my life is actually headed, it looks like it's heading in the direction of EMS/FF/Possibly Police.

I know of some people who have jobs in both EMS and Police, and I was wondering if anybody on here was in a similar situation and how it works for them.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! ^_^

firecoins

IFT Puppet
NYS has plenty of options. NYPD is always hiring. I am sure there are options through out tje state but I live in the NYC area. Transport ambulance companies through out the state are always hiring EMTs for transport as well as dispatchers.

Many cops and firefighters work as per diem 911 EMTs or Medics. Their full time job is as a cop and they pick up EMS shifts as available.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
I am near completion of two Bachelors degrees, one in Music Education, and another in Music Performance. I am serving as the Chief of my campus rescue squad, and I also work as a dispatcher for my University Police, so in trying to figure out where my life is actually headed, it looks like it's heading in the direction of EMS/FF/Possibly Police.

I know of some people who have jobs in both EMS and Police, and I was wondering if anybody on here was in a similar situation and how it works for them.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! ^_^

Why the passion in music? Maybe you'd be happier doing that than police/ems? Before you keep shelling out more money for degrees like that maybe you should regroup and focus, degrees are great, but if you want to get into a specific field maybe you should get a better degree (Criminal Justice etc.)

For the record: Communications B.A. but a full time FF (8 days a month, what a gig!) and I do ems on the side. My buddy who is a cop, works shorter shifts but has less free time on the side to do a side job.

Last edited by a moderator:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Many cops and firefighters work as per diem 911 EMTs or Medics. Their full time job is as a cop and they pick up EMS shifts as available.

Additionally, some PDs pay you a stipend for keeping your EMT, and there are FDs that'll give you a bonus for AEMT or Medic (so I'm told). And, don't forget, once you do 20 years as a FF or LEO while picking up some EMS shifts on a PT basis, you can take your pension and go FT in EMS.

OP
OP
BassoonEMT

BassoonEMT

Forum Crew Member
thanks for the replies. Well, fresh out of high school I thought I wanted to be a music teacher. Now, not so much. Might as well finish school now that I'm almost done, also no point in changing degrees.

Probably why it's called a passion... there is no reason for it, you just do. As much as it is a passion of mine, if I thought I'd be happier with that, then I would do it.