MPI( medical Person in charge)

seamedic

Forum Ride Along
I'm new here but I read a old thread about Medical Person In charge.

I serve as a Medic/Purser on a commercial Fishing Vessel for the past 20 years. Our Mates on board are trained as MPI. I'm EMT trained and have been for 30 years. I do preform advance skills on board the vessel such as IV's, ET tubes, suturing. We carrying class II meds on board as well as antibiotics. It is almost like being a PA then anything else. We have a med control that we call shore side for Doctor advise. It is called Health Force Partners. If we need an Media vac we call the USCG.

(could not post link due to I don't have 5 post yet )

The above can give you training in MPI. They are located in Seattle. It's not cheap. It's called Pacific Maritime Institute.

I would be happy to answer any questions about this that anyone has. I know their was discussion on it in the past that did not end to favorably. Be happy to clear up any misunderstandings.

ABEMS

Forum Crew Member
"For the purposes of this forum, advertising is defined as promoting ANY product/website/forum/service/blog/etc... that is not directly part of EMTLife.com. Advertising in any way is restricted until you have 10 non-advertising related posts. This gives our participants a chance to get to know you first."

OP
OP
seamedic

seamedic

Forum Ride Along
Sorry about that. I was not trying to promote anything. Just give information. My apologies.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I don't believe the original MPIC discussion went downhill because we didn't feel that MPIC was valid... we felt that the OP in that thread was claiming that MPIC would get him hired on a ship a "medical responder" and that employers would be clamoring to get him on board their vessel. The thrust of that thread, IIRC, was that MPIC was valuable to an existing rated crew member that may be tasked with providing some additional medical treatment on board ship.

For example, RMI (Remote Medical International) in Seattle includes MPIC with the WEMT course and many graduates of that program believe that they are able to put the skills they learned in MPIC into play immediately, which is simply not the case.

OP
OP
seamedic

seamedic

Forum Ride Along
You are right. Just having the MPIC training does not guarantee you work on a vessel. And you can only use those advance skills under a Doctor's directions and advice for the pt your are giving treatment to. I do here that RMI does put out some excellent training. The MPIC on a vessel usually wears a few other hats on top of his medical responsibilities to the crew. I also serve as safety officer/OSHA go to guy/ ship store manager/ admin for the main office ect ect. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Bet you have stories we can't top and might learn from!

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
what is the purpose of this post?

if you have a question I am sure any one of us would be more than happy to help. My brother is a chief mate on a us flagged oil tanker, he may beable to answer questions aswell.

as for MPIC training, it is also offered at all the maritime academy and is required for your Merchant Mariners Document (officers only). California maritime, Mass Maritime, Kings Point, SUNY, great lakes maritime to name a few.