moving to australia and work as an emt/medic

chea37

Forum Ride Along
i am currently attending my last few classes at my emt course and ive always wanted to live in Australia for at least a year before i get a permanent job back home. what would be my best course of action? should i stick around and attend my medic course this September and get it done so i have my certification before i go? ive read it does not transfer to Australia so ive had thoughts of moving to Australia and study there wile i live there for a bit? will my medic certification transfer back?

and untill i decide what to do i really cant start my visa process. im kind of stuck and i need some advice as to what i should do, i have other skills so i know i could get a job in Australia to pay for my holiday wile i was studying. anyways any input will be greatly appreciated thanks

GaMedic

Forum Crew Member
When I was looking around at jobs abroad I came across Australia. The problem with Australia is they're education requirements are a lot higher than the US. I didn't look into EMTs there because I am a medic but from a medic standpoint.. US medic education isn't a drop in the bucket to what is needed to be a medic in Australia.. Aussie medics have to attend uni for several years and even once they graduate they have to do an internship for 1yr before being released to work on their own. The cost of living there is insane compared to US, I have several friends that live there and even the smallest things like food prices are way higher than here. Granted even non skill jobs pay really well compared to US counterparts but going to live there for a year could prove to be a very expensive "holiday". Food for thought..

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
When I was looking around at jobs abroad I came across Australia. The problem with Australia is they're education requirements are a lot higher than the US. I didn't look into EMTs there because I am a medic but from a medic standpoint.. US medic education isn't a drop in the bucket to what is needed to be a medic in Australia.. Aussie medics have to attend uni for several years and even once they graduate they have to do an internship for 1yr before being released to work on their own. The cost of living there is insane compared to US, I have several friends that live there and even the smallest things like food prices are way higher than here. Granted even non skill jobs pay really well compared to US counterparts but going to live there for a year could prove to be a very expensive "holiday". Food for thought..

I lived in New Zealand for six months, which has a similar economy. Yes, the cost of living is higher, however the Australian/NZ dollar is weaker (or was at the time), making your own savings go further. And as stated, wages are most higher. I don't think all told that living in such a place would be a financial disaster. It was for me since I had no job (I was a student), but honestly I did not burn as much cash as expected.

As for the educational requirements, they are vastly different. Getting a work visa to work in EMS may prove to be quite difficult as well.

OP
OP
C

chea37

Forum Ride Along

ohhh ok thanks! ive got a few years experience with masonry, paving, and waiting tables so hopefully ill be good with that. another question, if i get medic there will that transfer back or no?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
ohhh ok thanks! ive got a few years experience with masonry, paving, and waiting tables so hopefully ill be good with that. another question, if i get medic there will that transfer back or no?

It will likely transfer but you're looking at several years of being a fulltime student.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
not worth it?

I don't know. I have thought about doing it in New Zealand. The issue is return on your investment. All told it will cost you more to become a paramedic outside of the US than inside, and given EMS wages, will take you a longer time to realize any return. I want more education than the average US medic, but at what cost is acceptable?