Moving to Albuquerque!

Agent Cooper

Forum Crew Member
In exactly 6 weeks I will be starting my journey to Albuquerque to begin prerequisites, paramedic school, and beyond. I got accepted to UNM to do the prerequisites and I will be applying for the paramedic program after that. I'd like to get an EMS job out there too just for the experience and to make sure this is what I want to do.
Does anyone have any advice in general about Albuquerque? Where not to live, what companies to work for, how best to get my basic license transferred, advice about UNM's paramedic and/or PA programs, fun things to do?

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Looks like a great program. I would finish my bachelors there if I could. Good luck!

AzValley

Forum Lieutenant
UNM has a good reputation from what I have heard. Best of luck with your move and welcome to the Southwest.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
UNM has a good reputation from what I have heard. Best of luck with your move and welcome to the Southwest.

ditto.

If you like the outdoors take a backpack and find some friends to go backpacking with. I spent 15 days backpacking 100 miles thru northern NM and it was beautiful. If you have never been, the dive to the Grand Canyon would certainly be worth it on a long weekend.

AzValley

Forum Lieutenant
no doubt on checking out the GC if you have not seen it. Well worth the drive. The hiking in the SW is the best in the US IMO.

KellyBracket

Forum Captain
Breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Frontier on Central, right across from UNM. Put the green chili on everything! (This ain't Texas chili, it's NM chili - infinitely better!) Great place to study too.

OP
OP
A

Agent Cooper

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the well wishes, everyone! I have not seen the Grand Canyon, that is definitely something I'll do. I'm really excited and can't wait to get in some good hiking!

Does anyone know anything about the medical reserve corps out there? It's connected with the New Mexico State Guard. I was thinking of trying to get involved, but I don't really know what to expect.
I'm just trying to get involved in as much as possible because I don't know anyone within a several hundred mile radius. Anyone have any suggestions of other things I could join?

Breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Frontier on Central, right across from UNM. Put the green chili on everything! (This ain't Texas chili, it's NM chili - infinitely better!) Great place to study too.

I was there when I visited Albuquerque, and someone got arrested right in the middle of the restaurant. Totally made my night! :lol:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Avoid Roswell. I did aircraft crash there once. 4 guys were so injured, general public thought they were aliens. Got accused of a cover up. Not fun at all.