Motivation Talk

Rin

Forum Captain
However, there is something wrong with low standards and complacency in our profession. I think patients deserve better providers, and providers deserve better education and higher pay. I think we need to take responsibility for our own profession, publish our own research, contribute to evidence based medicine, pass our own policy's, and not let other providers (eg MD's) do it completely for us. None of that can start until enough EMS providers get a higher education and are placed into key leadership positions.

Maybe we can save that portion of the talk for when the kiddies reach EMT school. :D

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Maybe we can save that portion of the talk for when the kiddies reach EMT school. :D

One of the problems is some (most) programs have little to no entry requirements. The one I referred to earlier was 16yo , a pulse and the money. Nremt won't cert anyone till they are 18. You don't even need a hs diploma or GED . Some high schools have EMT as an elective course .

Like others here have said there is nothing wrong with making ems a career. But.... To do so you need just the right amount of luck, smarts , connections and willingness to travel or relocate. When I started in EMS I didn't even know the job I do now existed. I make good money, I don't have to work overtime, and I actually get time to spend with my family( 2 week on 2 week off rotation). My previous job ( 911) Had a 2 day 2 night 4 off rotation. I ended up working 6 on 2 off most rotations as I needed the money.
I Talk to ems students from time to time to about Canadian ems and remote/industrial paramedicine( im Canadian and went to a us school... Most medic classes are 50/50 us and cdn students) Most like me when I started didn't know it existed or where to even begin looking. I have recruited several so far from these talks.( not all work with my company... But same line of work)

Rin

Forum Captain
That might be a good thing to talk to the students about; with education and experience there are opportunities in EMS that go beyond standard ambulance work. Students should go in with a mindset of furthering their education and achieving a position beyond the entry level. If we let EMS be seen as a dead-end job, many intelligent and ambitious students won't give it a second look.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Eve if it were a dead end, if it motivates them to get an education and keep their noses clean for even "NOW", it is a good thing. We don't demand that only kids with professional talents perform in the school orchestra or on the football team, and those activities help keep a segment of the student population engaged.

That points towards an EMS club. Get 'em early.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rin

Forum Captain
True. My city has pretty high crime & drug abuse. In high school, JROTC attracted some kids, teaching them discipline and yes, to "keep their noses clean." Not every kid wants to make a commitment to the military though. An EMS club could do the same, luring them in with excitement and then teaching them about service. Add a fitness component and we're in business. Simulations, field trips... *imagination runs wild*

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Snazzy uniform
No knives. ;)

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
True. My city has pretty high crime & drug abuse. In high school, JROTC attracted some kids, teaching them discipline and yes, to "keep their noses clean." Not every kid wants to make a commitment to the military though. An EMS club could do the same, luring them in with excitement and then teaching them about service. Add a fitness component and we're in business. Simulations, field trips... *imagination runs wild*

I was a St. John ambulance cadet from the age of 14 till I went to university. We learned first aid, leadership, responsibility etc. We would do event coverages working with paramedics to assist. We also competed in first aid and ems competitions. I started with basic first aid and went up to first responder. Once you turned 16 you could ride 3rd on the ambulance with parental permission. I really enjoyed it. St. John ambulance is huge is many countries.... Never heard of them in the USA though.

We had a few "at risk/ troubled" kids that were forced to join. They ended up loving it and are now medics. Once they joined they weren't getting into as much trouble and were able to turn things around.

OP
OP
R

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
So the talk went great. I talked about the subjects that pertained to EMS like Biology/ A & P, English, Communicatins, Medical Terminology, & Math. I gave an example of a mega code & how those subjects prepare me to preform ACLS like doing lb to kg, then med math, 6H's & 5 T's ( A & P in action), communication with MCEP or code 3 radio report, & finally report writing (Medical Terminolgy /English). I talked about chartacter traits of a good EMT: trustworthy, they give you $120,000 truck, equipment, & a pocket full of Narcotics & expect it to be returned in good repair at the end of shift. Mental toughness / quick thinking scene change rapidly whick is why attention to detail can mean the difference from giving your pt a life saving drug or work a code blue because of the delay. physical fitness- the jump bags weight the same whether your 7'0" or 4'9" & pts are getting fatter. I showed them a 14 ga angiocath & talked about EJs / chest darts. We talked about the difference between my roles as a Paramedic & as an ER Nurse. I wrapped it up with a handout about RN & Paramedic base pay, shift hours, & differential pay. We talked about local EMT & Nursing programs. The public school system here has an LPN program for Juniors & Seniors. When these high school kids graduate they have a Licenced Practical Nursing license. In my hospital system them can make $25/ hr. thanks for all the imput, suggestions, & venting. I hope you all are being good EMS Ambassadors.

Last edited by a moderator: