Motion Sickness

JustMarti

Forum Probie
They do make wrist bands that help with motion sickness.
When we got our newest rig I had problems getting used to the "new vehicle" smell and the difference in how it rode down the highway.
I used the bands (which had a pressure point on the inside of the wrist) to help ease my stomach.
I can now write reports and all without being sick.

medic417

The Truth Provider
OK OP you are our study subject. Start with the cheapest which is the candy let us know if it works. Then get the pressure point bracelet. Then the prescription. And whatever else was suggested that allows you to legally and safely work.. Let us know. Is that scientific testing in practice or what?:p

medic_charli

Forum Ride Along
How about a couple hits of a drug you have readily available -- good ole O2??

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
I remember one of my skills instructor told me he had motion sickness and he took meds for about 3 months. After that, the motion sickness went away when he gets use riding in the back of the ambulance. Just know your not the only one out there friend :)

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Urp.

There was just a great Mythbusters episode on various Motion Sickness remedies. If I recall correctly, the only cures that showed some results were ginger and the OTC drugs.

There's a good article on Motion Sickness and the various cures and their efficacy here.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Sometimes smelling an alcohol wipe will ease the nausea, at least one of our members swears by it. I am blessed to be able to read while seated in a backwards facing seat in a diesel bus without car sickness. I have a friend who due to a diving accident some years ago suffers from it terribly. She calls shotgun for the ride home on the way to the call. She's had to use the emesis bags more than any patient I've seen.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
They do make wrist bands that help with motion sickness.
When we got our newest rig I had problems getting used to the "new vehicle" smell and the difference in how it rode down the highway.
I used the bands (which had a pressure point on the inside of the wrist) to help ease my stomach.
I can now write reports and all without being sick.

Yeah, I've heard of those. I will definitely look into them.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I remember one of my skills instructor told me he had motion sickness and he took meds for about 3 months. After that, the motion sickness went away when he gets use riding in the back of the ambulance. Just know your not the only one out there friend :)

Don't worry, I know I am not the only one :p

Yeah, I was thinking of starting off on the meds (Dramamine, non-drowsy), and then slowly weaning myself off of them until I can do it without help. I think I will basically use the meds to get myself used to the motion of the ambulance. After that, I should be good. If not, I can always go back to the meds, as they are OTC.

Thanks for the info! Glad to know my plan actually worked for somebody :blush::p

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
OK OP you are our study subject. Start with the cheapest which is the candy let us know if it works. Then get the pressure point bracelet. Then the prescription. And whatever else was suggested that allows you to legally and safely work.. Let us know. Is that scientific testing in practice or what?:p

Sounds good. I will take copious notes on the process, documenting how I feel on each one. Of course, if it doesn't work, the paper may be a little soggy and discolored...

:p

I don't think I will need an actual prescription. I have used Dramamine in the past, and it worked perfectly. It let me read in the car, something I previously wasn't able to do. B)

OTC medications can not be regulated by an employer, correct? Clearly, I don't want to abuse them. I just want to know if I can take them without needing some sort of "waiver."

Sorry for the triple post!

Sizz

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, I was thinking of starting off on the meds (Dramamine, non-drowsy), and then slowly weaning myself off of them until I can do it without help.

Since when do they have a "non drowsy formula? They have regular and less drowsy formula which is only have the amount 25mg. I'm asking because I'm having the same issue on many back to back runs and or 30+ transports and I'm concerned with Medic school coming up and my internship I'd like to get it somewhat under control. It's not to bad if I'm not on the long hauls or being paged out with back to back calls. I've taken some generic ginger root supplement which helped a very little bit, what can the doctor prescribe that does not cost a fortune that works any better than Dramamine without drowsiness? Thanks in advance

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey I know this thread is like a year old, but I have to say this......OP, you could go to NAS Whiting Field in Pensacola FL and ask to get put through the spin-and-puke until you were cured. Worked for a friend of mine who joined the Navy to fly helos. He got terribly motion sick. But they put him in the machine several hours a day for like a week and it cured him. :p

In all seriousness though, I have found I just have to work through it. I uesd to get motion sick bad in the back. If it is a slow run I'll take a breath or two of O2. On a busy run I'll smell an alcohol pad. I don't know if either thing really works, but it at least makes me think I am doing something. Most of the time now I can fight back actually puking. Doesn't ease the nausea any though. I think it just is taking time. There have been one or two calls way out like 50 miles that I have been able to handle with no nausea so far. Maybe someday I'll be over it.