Mobitz II vs Mobitz II Advanced.....

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I've searched this site but was unable to find anything on the different types of 2° Type II AV Blocks... My ECG Class Instructor is stating that there are 2 Types of 2° AV Block Type II's...(Confused Yet..) So Let's Forget about "Mobitz I/Wenckebach" and focus on different types of Mobitz II. My Instructor states there is Mobitz II and Mobitz II ADVANCED(2:1)... Is this just a constant Mobitz II Atrial/Ventricular ratio???

My ECG Class Book(http://www.amazon.com/EKG-Plain-Simple-3rd-MyHealthProfessionsKit/dp/0132377292) (pg. 152)of what it states, it states un-clearly.

--BLOCKS--
1° AV Block - Prolonged PR Interval (Wider .12sec)
Bundle Branch Block - Wide QRS Complex (Wider than .20sec)
2° AV Block Type 1 aka "Mobitz I" or "Wenckebach" - PR Interval Gradually Becomes Wider Until there is a Dropped QRS

2° AV Block Type 2 aka "Mobitz II"- ????
2° AV Block Type 2 Advanced aka "Mobitz II Advanced"-????

3° AV Block - Complete Atrial/Ventricular Dissociation

jgoodfernandez

Forum Ride Along
A block involving 2 or more consecutive sinus P waves are sometimes referred to as high-grade AV block. In high-grade AV block, some beats are conducted in contrast to third-degree AV block.
high grade AV block could be the same as Mobitz II advanced

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Recall that that with 2 degree AVB, one or more QRS complex can be dropped in a row. So if every other complex is dropped (one p-wave with a compex followed by another p-wave without an associated complex, and it repeats), this is called 2:1 block. You cannot distinguish between Wenckebach or Mobitz because you cannot see the PRi gradually increase or not. However, as more compexes are dropped e.g. 3:1 (one p-wave with a complex followed by 2 more p-waves with an associated complex), 4:1 (one p-wave with a complex followed by three p-waves without an associated complex), ..., etc, this is called advanced Mobitz block.

advmobitz.png

Forgive my poor drawng, those are not P', and that's not a delta wave in the second complex, haha, but that's an example.

Edit: By the way, I believe Mobitz/Type I and Mobitz/Type II were dropped in favor of just saying Wenckebach and Mobitz.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
RanchoEMT

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
A block involving 2 or more consecutive sinus P waves are sometimes referred to as high-grade AV block. In high-grade AV block, some beats are conducted in contrast to third-degree AV block.
high grade AV block could be the same as Mobitz II advanced

Is this what is meant when referring to AV Blocks as 2:1,3:1,4:1,etc, AV Blocks?

OP
OP
RanchoEMT

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Recall that that with 2 degree AVB, one or more QRS complex can be dropped in a row. So if every other complex is dropped (one p-wave with a compex followed by another p-wave without an associated complex, and it repeats), this is called 2:1 block. You cannot distinguish between Wenckebach or Mobitz because you cannot see the PRi gradually increase or not. However, as more compexes are dropped e.g. 3:1 (one p-wave with a complex followed by 2 more p-waves with an associated complex), 4:1 (one p-wave with a complex followed by three p-waves without an associated complex), ..., etc, this is called advanced Mobitz block.

advmobitz.png
Sorry, responded to the previous post before your post came through. So it is
just a constant ------- Atrial/Ventricular ratio???

Edit: By the way, I believe Mobitz/Type I and Mobitz/Type II were dropped in favor of just saying Wenckebach and Mobitz.

Holli Flogn' LuYa! I wasn't gonna use that 2 degree type II :censored::censored::censored::censored: in the field anyways. ha! So there is wenkebach, Mobitz II, and Mobitz Advanced(2:1,3:1,4:1,etc)?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
No Mobitz II, just simply Mobitz, mwhahaha.

Yeh, pretty much. It's a collective description to second dregree Mobitz.

OP
OP
RanchoEMT

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
No Mobitz II, just simply Mobitz, mwhahaha.

Yeh, pretty much. It's a collective description to second dregree Mobitz.
ko0L.

Now what is actually going on physiologically in the heart that causes an 'Advanced AV Block' with a consistent ratio as opposed to a regular Mobitz?

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
I've searched this site but was unable to find anything on the different types of 2° Type II AV Blocks... My ECG Class Instructor is stating that there are 2 Types of 2° AV Block Type II's...(Confused Yet..) So Let's Forget about "Mobitz I/Wenckebach" and focus on different types of Mobitz II. My Instructor states there is Mobitz II and Mobitz II ADVANCED(2:1)... Is this just a constant Mobitz II Atrial/Ventricular ratio???

My ECG Class Book(http://www.amazon.com/EKG-Plain-Simple-3rd-MyHealthProfessionsKit/dp/0132377292) (pg. 152)of what it states, it states un-clearly.

--BLOCKS--
1° AV Block - Prolonged PR Interval (Wider .12sec)
Bundle Branch Block - Wide QRS Complex (Wider than .20sec)
2° AV Block Type 1 aka "Mobitz I" or "Wenckebach" - PR Interval Gradually Becomes Wider Until there is a Dropped QRS

2° AV Block Type 2 aka "Mobitz II"- ????
2° AV Block Type 2 Advanced aka "Mobitz II Advanced"-????

3° AV Block - Complete Atrial/Ventricular Dissociation

Just a correction QRS complexes should be less than .12, and P-R interval shoudl be 0.2 or less, i think you had them backwards

OP
OP
RanchoEMT

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Just a correction QRS complexes should be less than .12, and P-R interval shoudl be 0.2 or less, i think you had them backwards
oops. Your Right, bass ackwards.. 2 Gold Stars to you **

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Hey! Where are my gold stars?!

As for as consistency, I don't see why it would be any different from any other rhythm. As the block progressively gets worse, less conduction gets through, and it eventually advances to third degree AVB once the ventricles begin to escape.

OP
OP
RanchoEMT

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Hey! Where are my gold stars?!

Well everybody can have gold stars. Thats a very mediocre commodity. Every lowly pusillanimous EMT that crawls into a ford Leader or slinks through kindergarten has accumulated gold stars on a wall somewhere in some point in time. Back where I come from we have universities, seats of great learning, where men go to become great thinkers and when they come out they think deep thoughts and with no more gold stars than you have. But! they have one thing you haven't got...

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Well everybody can have gold stars. Thats a very mediocre commodity. Every lowly pusillanimous EMT that crawls into a ford Leader or slinks through kindergarten has accumulated gold stars on a wall somewhere in some point in time. Back where I come from we have universities, seats of great learning, where men go to become great thinkers and when they come out they think deep thoughts and with no more gold stars than you have. But! they have one thing you haven't got...
Money and maybe a job?

Edit: and somebody was too scared to say...

silver.png

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
RanchoEMT

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Money and maybe a job?

Edit: and somebody was too scared to say...

silver.png

yeah, ....something to the effect of an adequate paycheck and viable lifestyle.... EMS sucks.

OP
OP
RanchoEMT

RanchoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
:rolleyes: all in good humor tho my friend. Thanks for the discussion.