Missouri Fire/EMS District Bans Employee Smoking

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
At a higher price. You get two or three glasses out of a standard wine bottle. A good bottle of wine will set you back around $15. Then again, a six pack of good beer will set you back about the same.
Remind me never to move to Indiana...I can get a six-pack of good beer for $7.00 here...of course I do live in the land of micro-brews where people take their beer drinking seriously. :beerchug:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Remind me never to move to Indiana...I can get a six-pack of good beer for $7.00 here...of course I do live in the land of micro-brews where people take their beer drinking seriously. :beerchug:
It depends on your definition of "good beer". Usually things other than Bud, Bud Light, Coors, Honey Brown, Michelob, and other swill are between $9-15 for a six pack. We do not get a lot of good microbrews made locally here (sadly) so you have to pay the added cost for the transport. Also, I like European import beer which adds additional cost. For most things, Indiana is a pretty cheap place to live.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Apparently I am spoiled...even a 6-pack (or 4-pack if you go for the pint can's) or Guinness runs for well under $10...and a decent Czech Pilsner is only about $8.

TRowe

Forum Probie
My cities Fire/EMS guys have had this in place for awhile I think. The LEO's are still catching up but there was some news a couple years ago about a local PD being the first in the area (PD not fire) to enforcement zero tolerance for smoking on or off duty. They do test and it can result in a suspension.

Im torn on this. Sure we need to be in the best shape possible. And I would never dream of smoking in uniform or on duty, but say I go to a bar to celebrate my promotion or something. When I drink I like to have a smoke. If I were in that local PD, I could get fired for that. Not sure exactly the Fire agencies around here and their specific policies, but I know your not allowed to do it. The Sheriff Dept. I do SAR for has no policies except no smoking while in Uniform (on duty or off, wearing your uniform, you cant smoke)

But good for them.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
on duty or off, wearing your uniform

Why would you be wearing your uniform off duty? ;)

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Seeing paramedics in their ambulance smoking would be a little ironic. And considering most kids look up to firefighters/emt's, this is great. :)

kids have to look up to firefighter/emts. Kids are short.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
To / from work or work related event ^_^
Ah, I guess I'm just odd in that I always changed out of my uniform when leaving work. Just a personal policy I guess....

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
kids have to look up to firefighter/emts. Kids are short.
*rimshot* :lol: Thank you, he'll be here all week.....be sure to tip your waitstaff and try the veal.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I see the basis for employers not wanting their providers to smoke and for many good reasons.... both health and non-health related. I'm not quite so sure though any company should be dictating what their employees can do on their off time as long as it doesn't involve anything involving moral turpitude.

If your gonna ban smoking than why isn't drinking alcohol also banned? Alcohol is a known social problem that causes long term health problems, accidents, and death.

Prohibit it on-duty, but off-duty its a personal choice... not your employers.

DawnParr

Forum Crew Member
I think it's an awesome idea, even tho it will open other doors, i think it will be a start on making america healthy again, or my home city in accordance to the article.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
All I can say is that I'm glad I work for a company where the Director of Operations and Assistant Director of Operations will join the on-duty crews for a cigarette break every morning.