Mission College Santa Clara EMT Program

jia34

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

Does anyone know about the EMT program in Mission College in Santa Clara, California? I am taking the EMT program there this fall in hopes of becoming licensed as an EMT-Basic by the end of the year. My goal is to become a paramedic and (maybe) a firefighter. but I want to master EMT and Paramedic first.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I wish I could tell you things specifically about the program, but I cannot. If there is one thing similar between all programs, it's that they have you memorize algorithms from the NREMT. You can find those algorithms here. Your school may print out these or give you a different diagram that should be very very similar.

Most common books used to teach EMT is AAOS or Brady.

Most likely prerequisite is AHA CPR for Healthcare Provider (4 hour class). Sometimes schools require you to take Emergency Response, which will teach you to the level of a First Responder or Emergency Medical Responder (EMR). You might get certified in AHA CPR for Healthcare Provider and/or ECSI First Responder by taking the Emergency Response class. Emergency Response is about 72-hours.

The old requirement was 110 hours with one 10 hour ride along in California. That has changed I hear. It will most likely be slightly above that like 130-140 hours. The ride along will most likely be 10-12 hours with an IFT company (non emergency ambulance, it doesn't respond to 911 calls). You will most likely spend one day inside of an Emergency Room also for maybe 6-8 hours?

Although people trash talk different schools, I don't think it makes any difference in getting a job or determining what kind of EMT you are.

OP
OP
J

jia34

Forum Ride Along
thanks for the reply! I have already completed the prerequisite for the program. Thanks for that link you provided of the Algorithms. I think that will really help! Cant wait to get started.

Jack Swagger

Forum Probie
I went through Mission's EMT program. Study hard. Be prepared. 2/3 of my class didn't make it to the 2nd half of the semester. It's not difficult if you're committed to the cause