Miami area EMT-B/Paramedic training options

Knezevic

Forum Ride Along
Hello. I am very much interested in a career as a Paramedic in the Miami area. Any advice/info regarding training (where, cost, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. I have seen ads for complete EMT-B training courses through various fire departments (versus the time consuming college credit path), but havent been able to find any info on a complete Paramedic course (outside of college). I want to pay my dues as an EMT but do not forsee juggling that and an extended college tenure at the same time (time and money). I am looking for focused and total training programs if at all possibe.

Thanks!

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Knezevic said:
Hello. I am very much interested in a career as a Paramedic in the Miami area. Any advice/info regarding training (where, cost, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. I have seen ads for complete EMT-B training courses through various fire departments (versus the time consuming college credit path), but havent been able to find any info on a complete Paramedic course (outside of college). I want to pay my dues as an EMT but do not forsee juggling that and an extended college tenure at the same time (time and money). I am looking for focused and total training programs if at all possibe.

Thanks!

If you are wanting to get into EMS in South Florida, you really need to take the college path. I left Florida in 1994 so I can only give you advice from what I remember.

You will have to pay your dues for sure with a tiered service uless you get hired on a fire department.

Metro Dade and Broward both have some of the most outstanding medics I ever met.

I wish you the best of luck.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
The college path here isn't bad. If your just going for the certificate it takes about 6 months to become an EMT, then once you have that done another 8 months of school and your a paramedic. Or you can get your AS with 2 years. They've brought down the req's for getting into Paramedic school and I don't think there are anymore to go EMT.

I'm directly across from you and we've actually had a lot of people from Miami apply here recently, especially from AMR, but they all went through the same training I did.

Good Luck and Welcome to the site!! :) :) :)

OP
OP
K

Knezevic

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the info! I have a fire dept. EMT-B course lined up and then back to school. I guess.