Meth Lab Explosion

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Yup. You don't have any practical way of telling if they are chemical or thermal. Better to protect yourself by assuming they are chemical and treating them in such a way that it's going to stop the burning process regardless of the underlying cause.

Shake and bake.

Pop quiz kiddies: What's the chemical historically used to treat WP burns? Why?

Bonus question: Why is WP fun at raves?

Don't know if this is what you're looking for because you said historically, but my EMT book says copper sulfate neutralizes WP, so I imagine that would be used at least to help clean the wound.

But isn't copper sulfate toxic?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't know if this is what you're looking for because you said historically, but my EMT book says copper sulfate neutralizes WP, so I imagine that would be used at least to help clean the wound.

You got it right. I owe you a beer or something if we ever meet in person. Attending any conferences this year?

Do you know why it is helpful in cleaning the wound? (Hint: there are two reasons).

But isn't copper sulfate toxic?

Only in large quantities (or in very concentrated doses). When used for the purpose being discussed the risk of systemic toxicity is minimal.

adamjh3

You got it right. I owe you a beer or something if we ever meet in person. Attending any conferences this year?

Do you know why it is helpful in cleaning the wound? (Hint: there are two reasons).

Okay, so I imagine the first reason would be because it neutralizes the phosphorus. For the second, a little research shows when you mix the two (WP and copper sulfite) it forms black cupric phosphide I imagine having black on the burned flesh would make it easier to spot the WP and remove it.

Do I get a cookie?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Sure....cookies are an acceptable reward. You nailed both reasons.

Got an answer for the bonus question?

adamjh3

th_tabs.jpg

All these tabs and I got nothing. Knowing you it has something to do with smokescreens or tracers, though :p

nemedic

Forum Captain
Could it be that WP is one of the main chemicals used to create the brightness in those glow sticks/flashing pacifiers/all that bright neon crap that is pretty endemic in the rave scene

Or could it be an additive and/or component of ecstasy, also pretty common in the rave scene?

not that i'd know anything about that

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
White Phosphorous glows green in the presence of Oxygen. However, the most popular chem used in glow sticks is TCPO (bis-2,4,6-(trichlorophenyl)oxalate)

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
White Phosphorous glows green in the presence of Oxygen. However, the most popular chem used in glow sticks is TCPO (bis-2,4,6-(trichlorophenyl)oxalate)

In the presence of pure O2, yes. Upon being exposed to atmospheric air however it burns like hell itself. Assuming we are talking of the alpha variant or WP that is. I cannot tell you what the beta variant does.

Pure WP is terribly unstable compound that is self igniting and for the life of me, I cannot figure out what it would be doing at a rave.

Care to enlighten us? :unsure:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Pure WP is terribly unstable compound that is self igniting and for the life of me, I cannot figure out what it would be doing at a rave.

My thoughts exactly.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
My thoughts exactly.
It glows under blacklight, which is one way physicians can ID the particles for removal from the wound if you don't have access to copper sulfate or if you want to be really certain you got it all.

Knowing you it has something to do with smokescreens or tracers, though

LMAO You know me so well.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
This is kinda off topic, but we used to have a cook in the area that acted really girly, wore tight pants, and sometimes was seen in women's clothes..

I affectionately nicknamed him, "Hot Pink Phosphorous"

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I affectionately nicknamed him, "Hot Pink Phosphorous"

Priscilla Pete?

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

It's a play on the "Willie Pete" moniker normally given white phosphorus, based on the way the guy you described was dressed.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
It's a play on the "Willie Pete" moniker normally given white phosphorus, based on the way the guy you described was dressed.

Wow, have never heard of that one.. lol. I am used to dimitri, lucy in the sky with diamonds, sherman hemsley, adam, halo, tuna, cheese, and all the drug names... but have never known any precursors with names other than 3,4-methylenedioxy-phenyl-2-propanone (MDP2P) which is called "Foxy 3,4-M. dioxy"

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, have never heard of that one.. lol. I am used to dimitri, lucy in the sky with diamonds, sherman hemsley, adam, halo, tuna, cheese, and all the drug names... but have never known any precursors with names other than 3,4-methylenedioxy-phenyl-2-propanone (MDP2P) which is called "Foxy 3,4-M. dioxy"
It's not a street name. It's a very old military slang term.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
And I still cant figure out what a compound that burns violently upon contact with air is doing at a rave.

It's not found at raves. I was just making a joke about it glowing under black light.