Mentors for Medic Programs

4mysins

Forum Probie
I was curious if anyone else had the experience where they were linked up with a mentor during their school time outside of clinicals. This would be a person trained (IE Paramedic) in the field you are studying for. This person is a resource to ask questions and seek guidance from. I am being mentored and I will be mentoring an EMT-I student. Has anyone else be on either end of this idea? I would love to know your experiences and woud also like to know if anyone would volunteer to be my virtual mentor?

Wee-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
My school has just started that kind of program. I’m an EMT-A student in Alberta which I believe is equivalent to an EMT-I in some states. Were being mentored by the 1st year paramedic students. They help us with any questions we have about our provincial exam and are basically a free tutor! It’s pretty great.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I had a mentor, assigned by my program, in EMT school. The point of the program was to help us get through school, give us someone else to talk to, still in the field for practical advice....

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
One of my schools I teach at have initiated this type of program also. It has hit mixed reviews, as most mentors are students also and as one usually describes they themselves have very little time as it is. Over all I believe it can be a good program.

I suggest if one does, attempt to answer any question to their best of the their ability first then seek advice, and remember encouragement goes both ways.

R/r 911

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I have had many great mentors throughout my career. (and in life in general) it was always an informal relationship though, nobody was ever assigned.

As for being a mentor I was never assigned to that either, sometimes people ask what I think and I tell them. (sometimes they don't ask and I tell them anyway ;) )

Some like my thoughts and we form friendships, others don't and life goes on.