Mentally Ill EMTs/Paramedics

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Newly diagnosed I would say no. If a at least one year controlled and you have proven compliant with meds and therapy yes.

benkfd

Forum Crew Member
My humble opinion

Just to put my humble opinion in on this one....... If we were to exclude all mental illnesses from the EMS profession who would be left to actually work here? :unsure: If we were all truely humble and honest with each other we have all had our days when we were depressed, lonely, angry......Need I go on. We are all human and we all have our days when we are not completely stable.
My point is that we need to be sure that we treat each other with dignity and respect. Now, I know it's hard to be respectfull of the drunk who tells you to :censored: off at 0200. But, let's think about what we're saying here. I think that most of us are in EMS to help other people, I know it wasn't for the money!:):) Anyway, just food for thought!

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Just to put my humble opinion in on this one....... If we were to exclude all mental illnesses from the EMS profession who would be left to actually work here?
There are multiple professions and vocations where pre-determined mental illness is excluded from the workforce, including law enforcement. Many fire departments even test for it prior to hiring. Not sure why you think that this would be impossible in EMS, or what evidence you have that mental illness is so endemic among EMS personnel.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
As I said Bi polar controled on meds is not equal to pedophile. Meneal Illnesses are not equivalent.
Pedophile fondles kids. Bi Polar kills co-workers.

Big improvement there. So glad you clarified that for us.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
That's enough...

lock.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.