Memorizing scenario sheet

Speedman

Forum Probie
How do you guys memorize it? I'm having trouble with remembering all the steps. I been in school for 2 weeks and my lead instructor gave us a scenario out of no where and I bombed it. Well whole class did. He told us he did it to show that we have a long way to go still and reassured us that we will know it in our sleep, but want to see if anyone has any easier ways to remember it. Thanks Chris.

OP
OP
Speedman

Speedman

Forum Probie
Patient assessment, thought I typed it in there. Like bsi, science safety, moi/noi, number of pts. All the steps. I get lost after a couple and start jumping around to much or worrying about one thing more than the other.

EMT B

Forum Captain
Try memorizing it in chunks.. what i did was i memorized

bsi scene safe moi/noi # of patients ALS c-spine. theres one chunk

general impression avpu life threats airway breathing circulation transport theres your next chunk

after that its easy. OPQRST SAMPLE Vitals treatments and determining how often to reassess.

A few tricks for the medical- they will never give you a scenario that requires you to hold c-spine, however, you must mention the fact that you do not see the need for c-spine, otherwise they wont know that you even considered it. Also, they will not give you a scenario in which you have time to "stay and play." Always rapid transport.

Another thing I did to practice was I took notecards and wrote each step on it on the front, and then on the back i put what i would do during that step. I would then mix up all the cards and put them in order.

If you are affiliated with a department already, have some people give you scenarios, and have them follow the sheet. If you are not part of a department, have a family member or a friend help you.

EMT B

Forum Captain
Also if your instructor is any good, they will let you stay after class with them to work on it. My class was a 2 semester class that was 5 hours on wednesday nights. the way our class worked was we did lecture for 3.5 hours, and then we did skills in the lab for the other 1.5 hours. The teacher had paramedic students come in and help out with the skills as part of that school's paramedic program.

OP
OP
Speedman

Speedman

Forum Probie
That's what I'm going to do break it down and remember group by group. He's a really good instructor I've been told best in solute Florida. He's a little crazy but he pushes us a lot. Our class is at night 3 days 6-10pm. So it's hard to stay later what I'm going to ask him is if i can get there earlier.

The scenario was out of no where and he was hectic with it. Trying to touch the patient, wouldn't stop talking, had us on the edge of the seat that I went straight to CPR haha. He explained to us after to kinda take our time with the pts. Not to rush into it too fast.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
My nr. Basic medical assessment was not a load and go. Just so you know they are not all rapid or critical pts...: unless they changed it. Did my basic in 2006.

Breaking down the segments and doing them over and over is the easiest way to remember them. Just reading and memorizing the sheet is not helpfull for some. Some people have a hard time remembering when they are doing a scenario when they don't practice that way/

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Speedman

Speedman

Forum Probie
I pick up things more hands on, so I'm going to try doing it with my cousin and pretend something's wrong. Another thing he said was when doing a scenario it's hard to take it serious cause you know its fake. And I understand that 110%!!

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
It's just blunt memorization. It sucks and is a silly way to teach things, but we all have to do it.

I'm not bad with memorization, so I always just went over them a couple of times each night. Cut them into flash cards if you need.

SMC

Forum Probie
I teach EMT-B and I love teaching patient assessment in lab.

I developed my own way for making the students remember the steps.

I have the class in a big circle (shoulder to shoulder) I start with one student and he says BSI, the student next to him says Scene safety, the next how many patients do I have and it continues down the line just for the Scene size up. they can look at their skill sheets the first few times but after that they have to turn them over. I start with different students in the circle to change up the order. i.e the same student is not giving the same answer each time.

This works because they have to pay attention to what the student in front of them said so they don't give the same answer because some of the steps at the beginning do not have to be done in any particular order. (additional help, C-spine, # of pt's ect.)

Once every one has the scene size up down pat we go to the next part of the patient assessment scenario sheet. But I always start it from the very beginning. You do this for about 20 minutes and you would be surprised how quick you start knowing the steps.

Then of course we start running scenarios and the "one" student can spit out the sheet like no ones business.

I hope this helps.