Memorial Day Rant

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
This really only applies for the Americans on the forum.

Okay, since most of you guys work in the EMS field, I don't know if you have Monday off but as you probably know, it is Memorial Day.

Now Memorial Day is not just a day off from work, not a day to party, not a day to go shopping with friends, not a day to go enjoy the sunny day at the beach and relax just because you have an extra day off.

Memorial Day is a day off to remember and honor the men and woman who fought for our country and who allow us to live freely. Without them, we would be a different nation speaking a different language.

I just want to hear your takes on this matter since at school I am hearing a lot of bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: from kids getting all excited that we have a 3 day weekend, caring less than :censored::censored::censored::censored: about our country.

In one of my classes today, I noticed that the flag was rolled up. It actually has been rolled up all year long. It was hanging from the wall pointing up and the flag part was rolled up on the metal bar. I noted to the teacher about it during class and asked why it was like that. She says she has no clue, its been like that for years. Then this kid next to me said out loud "it doesn't really matter, who cares".

I'm sorry but that kind of set me off. They walk around in nice clothes, they can go to the beach and have fun, go walk on a park and be safe, they have food on their tables each and every day, they have FREEDOM. Freedom is not free, it comes with a price. We need to be more respecting and thankful of our nation and what we have.

I just finished reading a book called A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier, this man who fought in the American Revolution wrote a book on his account of the war. Let me tell you, they did not have it easy. They had to starve for up to 8 days at times not having food, they had to sleep in the winter with only a thin blanket, and they fought a damn bloody war with the British just for Independence. Most men in the regiment that Joseph (the author) was in could have easily staid home and not endured the suffering of war. Yet they chose to to endure the pain and suffering of war and fight their heart out for their country. And that kid in my math class has the damn heart to say it doesn't matter when the flag is curled up on a metal rod.

I end this note on 2 pictures, the first of a cemetary for our veterans who have been killed in the line of duty and who fought for our country. The second is a picture of our flag at half mast, to honor those who died.

I would like to hear your opinions, sorry for the long rant,

Thankyou.

3466777-lg.jpg

340x.jpg

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Good post and good points. Nothing more to add.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Although I am Canadian, I admire the patriotism and respect that most Americans have towards their country, and those who have fought and died for such freedom and even those who continue to fight and die for it.

I remember when I stopped in a smaller farm town in northern Montana on my way to Yellowstone National Park for some foodstuffs, I noticed what I can best describe as a "shrine" to the local boys (and girls) who were deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan. It had their photos, letters and even a list of the names of those soldiers; some of the names were crossed off, and had "KIA" written beside them. That made a lasting impact on me, especially since I saw that at every single grocery store I entered on that trip while in the States.

Since then, I've always wished that my country would do the same for our troops; in fact, the only time we see photos of our troops is usually on the front page of the newspaper with the headline "ROADSIDE BOMB KILLS THREE CANADIANS, INJURES 5 MORE".

So, in saying that I completely agree with the OP. I can't stand it when people insult their country with stupid crap like this fine :)rolleyes:), young man in your math class. Back when I was in Boy Scouts, if we ever let our Canadian flag touch the ground we would be in a deeper crap hole than we could ever MacGyver our way out of...

However, I agree with Sasha in some aspects; the USA is not the only country in the world nor are they the "number one" in the world. A pet peeve of mine is when an American says "I speak American". Does that mean that Mexicans speak Mexican? No. Americans speak English, and Mexicans speak Spanish.

Last edited by a moderator:

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
You are in high school (I assume), it is not exactly expected that students will be very attentive to those thing; its not like they hate america, people get caught up in things. As a matter of fact by relaxing and doing those things is good, because it is honoring and celebrating those freedoms others have worked for.

Besides, it sure beats extreme examples of nationalist parades.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Okay, since most of you guys work in the EMS field, I don't know if you have Monday off but as you probably know, it is Memorial Day.

As a retired military member who has friends underneath a few of those crosses, and as the son of an immigrant who flew the US flag from the porch of our house every day of his life after moving to this country, thank you... :usa:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
This thread was mean to honor those that have fallen in the service of their country, not to debate which is more important, patriotism or healthcare.

So that's enough of this one.

lock.gif

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Okay, I've cleaned this one up and have reopened it.

This needs to stay on topic, as a tribute to those that have given their lives in the service of their country. If you want to discuss the any other aspects of this, take it elsewhere.

As the only veteran amongst our Community Leaders, I pay particular attention to these types of threads because they strike close to home. So consider this fair warning to keep it on topic.

ffemt8978
USN 1988-1997
:usa:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Some veterans rant, most don't.

Often the quietest are the ones who gave the most.

Don't go wave a flag without visiting a Vet in a nursing home, or on the parade route, or at your family's next get together. Don't get hyperdefensive of us, mostly it's amusing to see what the "rights" we helped guard are used for.

PS: I am not a combat veteran.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
A real American Hero

Mike Maltz was a Pararescue Jumper (PJ) in the USAF. In essence, he was a paramedic who jumped out of helicopters or fixed-wing aircraft, could swim literally miles or hike over a mountain, all to provide aid to downed aircrew members in very great danger and very bad locations. Mike and I were stationed together in 2001 at the Combined Air Operations Center (located at Prince Sultan Air Base near Al Kharj, Saudia Arabia). Since we were probably the only two people with an emergency medical background at the CAOC, we liked to occasionally sit and BS a little when we had the chance. As is so often the case, I only knew he was a PJ; he never mentioned he was a no-kidding hero and (literally) a poster-boy for the PJ corps. I was back at the CAOC in 2003 on a subsequent deployment when news of his death was announced. He (and five others in his aircraft) were killed on a humanitarian mission to help two injured little Afghani children. Last I heard, the aircraft had a mechanical failure and crashed in a blizzard on an mountain in Afghanistan. It was my honor and pleasure to count Mike as a friend during my time in the Air Force, and I wanted to share this story with all of you on this Memorial Day weekend. Here's a link to a webpage about Mike. Please take a few moments to read it, would you? Happy Memorial Day to all...

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Thank you to all vets. My Great Uncle served Nam,sniper US Army...he passed on in Jan. of this year. I have lost a few highschool friends over a few years of being out of highschool. Even one in USMC Combat training..because he didnt want to leave being sick. To those who served,serving, and will serve..You have my respect,prayers,and best wishes..I owe those that laid down their life..my life. I hope to do them proud on the home front.

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you

I am not only a military brat but I am looking at joining the Army soon (68W or 68WM6). I have a lot of friends over seas that I might not ever see again. So, memorial day means a lot to me but a lot of people over look what it is for other than a free day of work. Thank you for this thread and to any member on this forum that has enlisted into the military (past present future), Thank you for what we have today.

wars may come and go but all soldiers stay eternal

RDUNNE

Forum Crew Member
I also want to thank all those who served and are serving. A good friend of mine, PFC Lawrence Womack, was killed on March 30, 2007 by a roadside bomb. He came from a long line of soldiers, and was one of the best I ever had the pleasuring of knowing.