Medics watch as train kills three

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Medics watch as train kills three

THE small group of paramedics were leaving the scene of a relatively innocuous traffic accident yesterday morning when the horror unfolded.

They were forced to watch helplessly as a blue Ford Falcon became caught on railway tracks in front of an oncoming train.

Somehow, in the build-up of traffic caused by the first accident, the Falcon had become caught between the boom gates after they closed.

"The car was trying to make moves to get off the track," said paramedic Ian Hunt, who was at the scene at St Albans in Melbourne's northwest.

READ MORE

Have you ever been at the scene of one accident and another occured in front of your eyes?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Um, yeah. My own. I was slowly (5mph or less) approaching the scene of an accident in winter weather when my truck hit a patch of ice and began sliding. About 50 feet in front of me to the left I saw the accident, a kid whose cars truck a tree. In the center of the road, the Chief, crossing the street to get to the kid. To the right, the Chief's car. I made a snap decision to go for the least human target... the Chief's car. I made it!

Luckily for the department, it only caused $71 damage to the Chief's car. Unluckily for me, my bumper became lodged on his and ripped off one side of the car, pulling the fog light mounts with it, and snapping a couple other connections and things under my engine. $1,500 later, my baby was back to normal. I didn't go through insurance (because I had been hit by someone 2 years ago and my insurance went up $700 a year when that happened) so it was all out-of-pocket. If I went through insurance the department would have paid my deductible. Oh well. Thankfully I wasn't hurt. Just really pissed.

Oh yeah, the guys called me "crash" for a couple months... until I became treasurer and they realized they wouldn't get any reimbursements unless they were nice to me. ;)