Medics Responsibility to be prepared.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
You guys tell me what you think on this one....stay tuned for the correct answer, I work tomorrow so it will be Wednesday before I get back to it....Go ahead and tell me why you choose what you did.

Which of the following is NOT part of the paramedic's responsibility to be prepared?

a. Knowing how to use the radio or other communication technology
b. Knowing protocols
c. Knowing what resources are available
d. Knowing when to call for additional help

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
You guys tell me what you think on this one....stay tuned for the correct answer, I work tomorrow so it will be Wednesday before I get back to it....Go ahead and tell me why you choose what you did.

Which of the following is NOT part of the paramedic's responsibility to be prepared?

b. Knowing protocols

OK, I'll be the first to bite. I would think that "D" is the correct answer, because knowledge of your communications, protocols and resources are all items of consideration you can prepare for ahead of time, while "D" would seem to be something that cannot be prepared, but more of an analysis of your assets and skills vs. your needs. In other words, you can (and should) learn the first three ahead of time, but you can't possibly prepare for the exact situation that hasn't occurred yet. I hope this makes sense to y'all; sometimes thinking the answer is a lot easier than getting it properly phrased here.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

b. Knowing protocols

I'm going to go with 'b' on this one based upon my instinct that this is one of those curveball questions. In addition, protocols are guidelines that are not meant to cover every possible situation. The other three criteria are ALWAYS applicable, even if they're not used for that particular call.

islandgal

Forum Crew Member
Is this a real question??? Man I hate multiple choice. I think all these are responsibilities for EMT's and medics...but I suppose I would guess C. The medic could delegate others to search out available resources so he/she could focus on patient care. But for the record, what a crappy question.:wacko:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Poor test question...period, whomever wrote this has poor test writing skills.

The most probable answer is in my humble guess would be D. Knowing when to call for additional help... since they are sometimes the additional help.

Actually, all answers are correct. Even D.. they should recognize their limititations
A. The Paramedic shoudl know how to operate radio and communication
B.He/ she should be very knowledgeable to protocols
C. He. she should always be aware of potential resources.

Again a very poorly written question....

R/r911

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks RR, I agree with a poorly written test question. It was on a practice exam for our last test. Pulled from a test bank.

The correct answer was D - knowing when to call for additional resources.

After I came unglued over it, and pieced my self back together, I asked for an explanation on how that is the best answer. It boiled down to sure all four a things a Medic must know, but before you even go on a call you have to know your protocols, what resources are available in your community, and how to operate the radio to call for them if you should need them.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Tough to be proud of getting it right when the question sucked so bad... =)

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Ohhh....hows that arm there Tincan??? What with all the backpatting your doing... :p :p :p :p :p

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
ow, that hurt worse, and the only reason I was close was that even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then... =)

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
It's another example of "All the answers are right, but which one is the MOST right."

Or "which answer sucks the least" ;-)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

b. Knowing protocols
I'm going to say "C" - yes, the medic should be aware of what resousces are "usually" availible in his area, but it is DISPATCH's responsibility to assign the most appropriate availible unit to your request for assistance.

For example, the Medic should know there are 5-10 aeromedical units in relitive proximity. It ISN'T the Medic's job to know whether or not SkyCare 1 is on another call or not... the Medic just needs to know they can ask for, and usually get, multiple helicopters.

I think knowing when to call for help is one of the MOST important questions... It is part of the initial scene survey.

Last edited by a moderator: