Medical school graduate....

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Whatever happened to the concept of criticizing in private? This adds nothing to the discussion and points the thread in the wrong direction.

Well Vent critized the MD gradute for going to basic. Does not point the thread in a wrong direction or just my pointing it out?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Play nice....

signadmin1.gif

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It may mean nothing to you but you and Vent have no authority to be lecturing other people with such arrogant attitudes . This website has nothing to your regulations. The two of you need to lose the attitude. If the gradute of an MD program wants to volunteer on an ambulance, there wrong with him for wanting to do this. he isn't being "too basic". I have no interest in condensending attitudes. Leave your egos at the door please.

And you have as yet proven to be at what level if any or even actually involved in EMS. I know that my paycheck and professional career is in medicine.

p.s. This is how graduate is spelled :D

firecoins

IFT Puppet
And you have as yet proven to be at what level if any or even actually involved in EMS. I know that my paycheck and professional career is in medicine.

p.s. This is how graduate is spelled :D

You have yet to show me your certification of any level. You admit to not being an MD so you have no license to practise medicine.

I still list my self as paramedic student because my NY state paramedic test is on 12/18. When my certification is in I will post it.

Until I see your certification, you have no authority. Even than, you won't have authority. Your attitude has lost all credibility for yourself. You lack any professional attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
It doesn't take much more than some commonsense to figure out that once a person accepts their license as an M.D. it comes with a new set of responsibilities and expectations. Regardless of what cert an M.D. may want to hang on to, they will still be an M.D. One can volunteer as a student and new doctor in many places even before their residency to see many things that may influence what direction their career will take.

And, it will avoid being placed in a situation on a BLS ambulance as an EMT with the education of an M.D. and the only thing you may be able to do is O2. The patient and their loved ones may also not be able to understand why more couldn't be done by this person.

Many people on this forum would probably love to have the opportunity to get a medical degree but may not have had the chance for a variety of reasons including economic status and academic achievement or lack of. Some would like to be more advanced in medicine to help those more than they are able to at the EMT(P) level. They know their limitations and acknowledge their frustrations.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
You admit to not being an MD so you have no license to practise medicine.

he's an rn. rn's are licensed, not certified. so he does in fact have a license to practice at the nurse level.

any other genious statements chief or are you ready to let this one die?

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi,

I worked as an EMT-B before I went to medical school. I graduated from medical school this past summer and would like to get involved with EMS again. I am currently in the process of applying for residency so I have time off until July before I start my internship. What are my options as far as getting involved with the local EMS. My EMT certification has expired. Im currently in Texas. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading!!

I think it is neat you still have an interest in ems. I'm not sure about texas, but in my state you'd have to take the emt class or challenge the test and become certified before you could function as an ems provider. Around here, if a medical professional such as yourself does this, they are considered to be affiliated under the ems agency and thus under the medical director’s license. Of course, that assumes you agree to practice within the ems scope. Also, it doesn't guarantee they wouldn't treat you different in court. Lastly, there are people like you around, especially in the bigger volunteer ems agencies that are close to a medical school. So, I’d recommend you check there and take everything you read here with a grain of salt, because none of us have any real experience with your situation.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Are you then a licensed physician? If so, do you really want to expose your malpractice as well for a non-paying job? Remember, you are a physician at all times and never will be considered an EMT. Sure you may have the initial but the M.D. will be sought out first and foremost.

A few months residency or internship in a ER and surgery; just means you passed through to get signed off. This does not impress ER docs and definitely not Surgeons.. you still have no focused residency time.

As others stated, ride along and discussion with working Medical Directors may interest you. Otherwise, your expertise in the field as an EMT would be non-valuable.

Good luck!
R/r 911

I personally have known three doctors who came back to volunteer in ems. They eventually got it out of their system and moved on. I think his expertise could be extremely valuable to himself and especially other ems providers in need of perspective and inspiration. If a doctor reached out to us, we would welcome him with open arms.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
It doesn't take much more than some commonsense to figure out that once a person accepts their license as an M.D....

And, it will avoid being placed in a situation on a BLS ambulance as an EMT with the education of an M.D. and the only thing you may be able to do is O2. The patient and their loved ones may also not be able to understand why more couldn't be done by this person.

Common sense would come in handy here. He would not have to tell the pt he was a doctor. What could he do without a hospital anyway? Just because a surgeon might ride along on an ambulance doesn’t mean he is expected to perform surgery in the field should the need arise. I would recommend he challenge the Paramedic test. I don’t see the big deal myself, but I could be wrong.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Common sense would come in handy here. He would not have to tell the pt he was a doctor. What could he do without a hospital anyway? Just because a surgeon might ride along on an ambulance doesn’t mean he is expected to perform surgery in the field should the need arise. I would recommend he challenge the Paramedic test. I don’t see the big deal myself, but I could be wrong.

That is where you are wrong. Our physicians do some amazing things when they accompany us on transport. Medicine is an amazing world and it is unfortunate that those in EMS only see and only want to see such a limited view. Ex. Have you ever witnessed ECMO in transport?

It is also sad in the case of a young doctor who has free time to see where the inner workings, including protocols and reimbursement come from, with a doctor's point of view but does not take advantage of that. I'm sure as an observer the physicians in the ED and EMS would only make him work as hard as he wants. But, what a great opportunity that could make an impression on him for the future! He has already seen what happens on the ambulance from previous experience. Why not take it to the next level? The next 3 - 7 years of his life, depending on his chosen residency, may not again afford him such an opportunity.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Here's the deal folks. Anyone that has received high education such as being a graduate of a medical school and passing (since most now take their license while in school) the medical boards are and will always considered be the "highest medical license". In other words, being a Paramedic, EMT, or even RN is squat! You cannot remove your license because you want to work in the field.

Once you are a licensed M.D. you will be held accountable for your actions at such a level. Anyone foolish enough to work in the role strictly as a EMT is opening doors to be sued and frankly ought to be sued. Sorry, if you do not think that the patient will not find out if there was a problem, you need to take your own pulse. As well, good luck on malpractice insurance ' discuss with your carrier doubt they will provide coverage on them as well.

The license of Medical Doctor automatically supersedes any other license or certification.

Now to say they can work in an EMS .... good luck! Any administrator hiring such is only opening the door for an outlandish litigation suit. Also what will they work under? Remember, licensed physicians has the authority and responsibility to diagnose. Personally, I do not know any state that allows a physician to work under another physicians license.

R/r 911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
he's an rn. rn's are licensed, not certified. so he does in fact have a license to practice at the nurse level.

I also have a license as a Paramedic.. fortunately there are states that recognize the difference.

R/r 911

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
I also have a license as a Paramedic.. fortunately there are states that recognize the difference.

R/r 911

mea culpa sir. as you're probably aware, mass paramedics are certified not license, so thats sort of the mind set drilled into me.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Everybody is a lawyer nowadays. I know, I know, you all have learned this from your years of being beaten down by idiotic rules and regulations, and then being burned at the stake for any deviation. I know, its not your fault, it’s the world we live in, yada-yada. Forced to conform, and how dare anyone question what is surely “common” sense.

Guys I just finished up med school, and I’m looking for an interesting temporary job in ems…

Oh my god! How dare you, that’s unheard of. Your breaking this rule, and ignoring that reg…You idiot kid, just looking for a good time. The lawyers will eat you alive. If you not doing xyz for pt B is situation 1.6, you could be sued up the yen yang!!!.

Yep, great country we got here.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
Also, what’s with the bolding of certain words? Bold a paragraph or something for effect like I did above, but bolding your favorite words is just annoying. I can read and comprehend just fine on my own. I find this trend annoying because it draws my attention away and causes my eyes to dart. Now all I have to do is get the lawyers on board and you all will be marching in lockstep against this crime against humanity.

Clibby

Forum Crew Member
I'm pretty sure the OP is not a licensed doctor, but just an M.D. who graduated medical school. Doctors do not receive their license until they pass the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE). This is usually taken after the first year of residency. Without any residency, an M.D. cannot have a license to practice as far as I know. Now the doctor doesn't need to finish residency to keep their license, but they won't be a board certified doctor unless they do.

So as to the OP's situation, he is no different than a PhD in Medical Science. He has no license to practice as far as we know. So if he were to operate on an ambulance he would operate under the medical director’s license up to a level of certification which he has. Whether this is the best option for him or not is not for us to decide.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm pretty sure the OP is not a licensed doctor, but just an M.D. who graduated medical school. Doctors do not receive their license until they pass the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE). This is usually taken after the first year of residency. Without any residency, an M.D. cannot have a license to practice as far as I know. Now the doctor doesn't need to finish residency to keep their license, but they won't be a board certified doctor unless they do.

So as to the OP's situation, he is no different than a PhD in Medical Science. He has no license to practice as far as we know. So if he were to operate on an ambulance he would operate under the medical director’s license up to a level of certification which he has. Whether this is the best option for him or not is not for us to decide.
A lot of schools now operate that you must pass the USMLE in order to graduate. Some admissions FAWs have it listed: Even if yo have a 4.0, yo ucannot receive your diploma until you pass the USMLE etc. etc.

And the thought that an MD on an ambulance can't do much is a very american way of looking at things. The Anglo-Franco model of ambulance services is to deliver the definitive care (physican and nurses, sometiems RTs) to the pt quickly and have advanced procedure performed in the field before transport to hospital. I know we live in the US so this is different, but perhaps this model might someday work in the US and if he's the one to start the trend, more power to him.

In any case, this is something that the orgaization you work for would have to determine. What yo could do and how much you could do would be up to them, obviously we don't work on the model that the Europeans work off of.

EMT007

Forum Lieutenant
And let me add some more slight technical corrections (as someone currently in med school):

You technically don't pass the USMLE (which is a 3 part test) until after your first year of residency. However, you have to pass Step 1 of the USMLE after your second year of med school before they let you start your clinical rotations. Many schools (but not all IIRC) require you to pass both parts of Step 2 prior to graduation.
During internship, you have a license that is restricted to your work at your training institution. You don't qualify for an unrestricted practice license until you pass Step 3.

And to the OP - congrats on graduating. I'm still stuck in the pre-clinical years, so my life consists of living in the library. Can't wait for year 3.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Everybody is a lawyer nowadays. I know, I know, you all have learned this from your years of being beaten down by idiotic rules and regulations, and then being burned at the stake for any deviation. I know, its not your fault, it’s the world we live in, yada-yada. Forced to conform, and how dare anyone question what is surely “common” sense.

Guys I just finished up med school, and I’m looking for an interesting temporary job in ems…

Oh my god! How dare you, that’s unheard of. Your breaking this rule, and ignoring that reg…You idiot kid, just looking for a good time. The lawyers will eat you alive. If you not doing xyz for pt B is situation 1.6, you could be sued up the yen yang!!!.

Yep, great country we got here.

I see your point.

EMS should be just something fun to do until something better comes along.

And, it is just a volunteer thing after all. It's not like it is a real job or anything like that.

I guess some of us actually thought of it as a profession and should be respected as such especially from others who are in a medical profession.