Medical Examiner Investigator

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
Has anyone ever taken the courses for this? Where at, what did you like dislike of the course?
Is anyone currently employed as one, or have been in the past? Thoughts on the position, good/bad - your experiances?

OP
OP
B

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
Other names

May also be called: medicolegal investigator, deputy coroner, deputy medical examiner

Anyone? If not, I will let this one die.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I used to be a deputy coroner. The training is normally provided once you are hired rather than you going out and seeking it out unless you have a degree in one of the basic sciences (biology or chemistry mostly) or have some sort of specialization in forensics through a degree or prior work in law enforcement.

A piece of advice though, these jobs tend to be rather political in some areas. Be careful where you get involved with. Also, it's a fun job but then again it is just a job and after a point it becomes routine.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Ah. Thank you for the response. There is a county opening(part time and call) here and the medical examiner is urging me to apply. I currenty work as a paramedic in the county. Here is the program they will be sending me to: http://medschool.slu.edu/mldi/

That's a good program. You'll learn a lot.