Medic School

What do you think about Medic Schooling??

• Total voters

emtbhardy

Forum Probie
I was wondering what everyone's feeling about medic school was.

should u go stright to medic school after emt school

work in the field (convo, or 911) for a yr before school

work for a 911 service for at least 1 yr before school

OP
OP
emtbhardy

emtbhardy

Forum Probie
i use to think that you needed to work at least a yr in 911. but my medic partner and I got to talking the other day. he made some good points I thought. Like trauma is always the same thing. but with u mainly only working medical calls in a convo service that makes you think alot more about everything that you do. Than you would think on a trauma call.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Pick up some college classes like A&P, Microbiology, Pathophysiology, Psychology, Math and English.

There is not set time to wait before entering Paramedic school but if you work as an EMT while getting the above classes, everything will come together much easier.

wlamoreemtb

Forum Crew Member
after a year of ems(911) as an emt-b and 2 years of college I think that has prepared me and given me a much better understanding for what is to come in medic school

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
basic to Prerequisites then to medic school and then some more college.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
In the year... it may not be 911... but you need time with ALS providers, if the system allows it... Work with a paramedic on a 911 truck or an interfacility truck. Drive for the SCT/CCT truck or the local hospital's transport team.

See ALS crews working on sick patients... learn the very basics of how to help them and how they work.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If the "zero to hero" mentaility works for physicians, nurses, RRTs, etc, then why not for prehospital providers? Prereqs->medic school-> work. Either the prereqs should require courses like A/P, chemisty, math, or they should be included in the curriculum for medic school (degree based).

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
none of the above.... I think that basic ed in A&P is necessary and I think a solid basis of clinical time prior to certification is important. I think that the clinical time in the past has been considered the EMT-B time because you practice touching patients. But doesn't need to be that way. I've seen both good and crap medics come out of both systems.

Hastings

Noobie
Straight from no EMS exposure to EMT-B to Paramedic. No experience in between except for clinicals. It's the way I did it, and it worked out fine.