Medic School

Druu831

Forum Ride Along
Hello guys, this is my first post on these forums :p

WELL, I am about one month away from completing my EMT-B Certification class in the state of California, I plan on taking my National Registry test a week after I complete my training too. I'm thinking about applying to a fire department somewhere in the area since the county that I live in does not hire EMTs for their ambulance company (AMR), only paramedics.

After I get about 6 months to a year of experience in the field I look forward to continuing my education and moving onto medic school. I was just wondering for you medics out there, what is the general process of becoming a paramedic? How long is medic school, what is the procedure, etc, etc. Also, how easy or how difficult is it to get a job as a certified EMT-B? Because that something that has been on my mind, I would like to get a job shortly after graduating.

Thanks guys,

-Andrew aka Druu (you can call me Druu lol)

Afflixion

Forum Captain
Getting a job as a new EMT-B with no experience is extremely difficult. Honestly, you should skip EMT-B and go get your paramedic. Ideally you should go for an AAS, you learn so much more and stand a better chance of being hired as opposed to someone who went to Joe Blow's School of EMS. If you can't or simply don't want to goto college don't, just saying it is better for you.

Procedure and time varies greatly depending on the school, some require a year experience as an EMT (typically a California thing) others do not. Some are 4-6months others are 18-20 months. and anywhere in between.

If you want to be a firefighter be a firefighter, if you don't then then don't do it I say the same thing about firefighters who want to do EMS... I have met entirely too many "firemedics" who hate working on the ambulance and as a result have some of the worst patient care I have ever seen. EMS is a medical profession...not public safety. The reason why it is the joke it is today is because of the glorious fire departments trying to run EMS when a large percentage want nothing to do with medical.

EDIT: I am in no way implying that all "firemedics" are like that though the ones I have met like that do put a bad taste in the mouth that lingers. There are some very good paramedics who work for FDs as well...

Last edited by a moderator: