Medic School?

911Knight

Forum Probie
Hi all,

I am new to the site and have a question. I have been an EMT Basic in the SF Bay Area for about six months. Finding a job out here has been very challenging, EMT jobs are highly competitive in the Bay Area.

I want to go to medic school but everybody is telling me that I need 911 experience as a Basic. They say if I dont have this, the chances of me failing my paramedic internship are high.

My only experience has been through volunteering at Rock Concerts, and have done some fire dept ride alongs and been on some 911 scenes.

Can anybody who has been through this give me some insight on what to do?
Should I wait and keep trying to get a job as a basic or should I just jump into Medic School?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Welcome!

The large consensus here is that you do NOT need experience as a basic before going to medic school.

The sooner you get in the better.

Durchii

Forum Probie
Seriously?

This is good to know, due to the fact that a majority of my time is spent looking for a good service to volunteer with, and they won't even consider taking me on as a non-paid Basic at the Fire Department, which does employ EMT Vollies.

The majority of what I heard is that if you do not have at least 6 months to a year of experience as a Basic, going to P School is suicide.

What's your experience with this?

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Seriously?

This is good to know, due to the fact that a majority of my time is spent looking for a good service to volunteer with, and they won't even consider taking me on as a non-paid Basic at the Fire Department, which does employ EMT Vollies.

The majority of what I heard is that if you do not have at least 6 months to a year of experience as a Basic, going to P School is suicide.

What's your experience with this?

I went into Paramedic school with ZERO experience working in EMS. (Other than my basic clinicals). I'm now into the 4th term of 5, and I'm doing fine.
If you put in the effort, and study. You'll do fine.

whatevah

Forum Probie
my brother is in the final (FTO) process of his medic school with zero prior EMS experience, just your basic first aid and CPR/AED. I'm sure some things would have been easier if he had EMT-B training as a base (made my accelerated Basic course easier having EMR) but he's done very well in one of the hardest medic programs in the area.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Just attended an educators course. A recent study has just demonstrated that those without any prior EMS experience scores over all higher in pass rates on Paramedic tests, within one year usually has a higher chance of employment and promotion.

Ironically, the main factor that has demonstrated the highest test scores is those that have a good math and psychology background... go figure.

R/r 911

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Only thing you'll learn between EMT-B and starting medic school is how to talk with patients and your assessments.

OP
OP
911Knight

911Knight

Forum Probie
Thanks everybody! Does anybody know off hand which medic schools in California do not require experience?

I have to still get my A&P knocked out, and thinking of taking and EKG course

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks everybody! Does anybody know off hand which medic schools in California do not require experience?

I have to still get my A&P knocked out, and thinking of taking and EKG course

Why waste your money on an EKG course? You'll take it in your medic class.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
911Knight,

You really are taking a good step with ecg and A/P courses. In the mean time, you will continue to gain some experience and that too will help you. A 1 credit med-term class would be a great help too. Good luck...before you know it, you will be done!

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
More experience doesn't hurt, and he'll be a step ahead of most of his classmates, and HOPEFULLY, won't fail that portion.

Seems pointless to me. I say take the time an study more A&P. EKGs aren't that hard. I don't see the point in wasting the money. I say, don't do it. Study A&P and possibly some med term. Heck, even take a pharmacology class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
More experience doesn't hurt, and he'll be a step ahead of most of his classmates, and HOPEFULLY, won't fail that portion.

Money and time can be spent doing something more productive then taking a class that will be retaught in paramedic school.

Go to the ICU or CCU and befriend a nurse, PA or doctor and have them teach you 12 leads if you really want a step up.

Take a pharmacology, pathophysiology or a&p class isntead. Those topics are grazed over in medic.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
It's odd, the overwhelming opinion on this site is to go to Medic school as fast as possible, bypassing EMT entirely if you can manage it.

But the overwhelmning opinon from people I have physically spoken to is get about a year of EMT under your belt, and they are quite adament about it.

I hope I won't end up regretting this year I am spending as an EMT instead of going to Medic school....

motomedic

Forum Crew Member
Experience is key. There were ppl in my paramedic program that had zero experience some passed but some failed in there internship. I all depends on what type of learner you are and how much time you have to dedicate to the program. Your going to hear both answers just have to see what fits. Cheers!!

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Being a I/C, I can say there is a marked difference between students who have had field experience and those who have not. Some students do well regardless but, the vast majority of Medic, even Spec students, benefit greatly from time on the road. Making a few bucks, getting experience taking a few classes is the trifecta IMHO.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I guess either way I get to medic school. The one upside is that I will have time to get A&P, some more math, and hopefully Pathology, Microbiology, maybe some others depending on time/money as well as continuing ed certs.

The only way I think I will regret it is if I can not manage to find busier EMS work. Ah well, no certainties I suppose.