Medic School Preparation

AlaskaEMT

Forum Crew Member
I have 3 months until paramedic school...

If you were doing this all over again, what disciplines would you focus on to prepare yourself?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, ekg, BLS skills and get rid of any distraction going on in your life.

medic258

Forum Crew Member
If I only had to pick one it would be pharm. I would not concentrate on the specific drugs but the classes and how they interact. Drugs within those classes are generally similar. If you learn what a beta-blocker does and how it interacts with the body then learning the differences between metoprolol and labetalol will be easier when those drugs are covered. The same will hold true for opiates, benzos, calcium channel blockers, etc.

Please note that most schools in MA are college based so A&P is a pre or co-requisite. If it is not in your program then I would focus on that.

Good luck with your studies! It is a decision you will not regret.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Three months is not very long.. but, basic science courses such as a good anatomy and physiology, as well if you master medical terminology, then you will be able to understand almost anything.

If you truly have a grasp of A & P then pharmacology will be much easier and you will not want to learn the traditional method (drug cards- indication, adverse effect, etc).

Learn to become self organized, you will need to be to survive..

Good luck!

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
And some grammar, tech writing classes. Local nursing program here has an english class designed for the nursing profession that is a great class for those who were more writing challenged than others.