Medic dies at scene responding to suicide call in Bensalem, PA

medic417

The Truth Provider

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree 100%...was letting other people draw more of their own conclusions. :)

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
What a terrible shame. My prayers go out to the family and the co-workers. I have heard many stories about crews walking into a bad situation when it seemed to be a routine call. I hope that person who commited this horrible act gets put through the wringer. It's such a shame that it's getting more dangerous every day for us out there.

Be safe everyone out there.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
What a terrible shame. My prayers go out to the family and the co-workers. I have heard many stories about crews walking into a bad situation when it seemed to be a routine call. I hope that person who commited this horrible act gets put through the wringer. It's such a shame that it's getting more dangerous every day for us out there.

Be safe everyone out there.

What horrible act?? Me thinks you did not read all posts...

hreeves877

Forum Probie
There was a question of a cardiac issue since the beginning last night. It just wasnt reported in the news because all they care about is getting a good and interesting story. A medic getting attacked and dying as a result is much more interesting for the 11:00 news that just a simple heart attack. The fact remains....it is a LODD. I should hope that nobody loses any respect for him just because he died of natural causes. Maybe I am too close to this situation to be involved in these conversations, but I just want him to be remembered with respect. An MI can happen any time, we all know this much. But maybe, just maybe, if he wasn't chasing somebody, it wouldn't have been so sudden, so untreatable. Maybe he would have had symptoms and had time to get treatment, get cathed. All the what ifs start now, and this next week is seriously going to suck. I apologize for anybody offended by my earlier posts....just trying to protect a brother's memory.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
There was a question of a cardiac issue since the beginning last night. It just wasnt reported in the news because all they care about is getting a good and interesting story. A medic getting attacked and dying as a result is much more interesting for the 11:00 news that just a simple heart attack. The fact remains....it is a LODD. I should hope that nobody loses any respect for him just because he died of natural causes. Maybe I am too close to this situation to be involved in these conversations, but I just want him to be remembered with respect. An MI can happen any time, we all know this much. But maybe, just maybe, if he wasn't chasing somebody, it wouldn't have been so sudden, so untreatable. Maybe he would have had symptoms and had time to get treatment, get cathed. All the what ifs start now, and this next week is seriously going to suck. I apologize for anybody offended by my earlier posts....just trying to protect a brother's memory.

I completely understand, and this is a damn shame. Period. I don't care if he was stabbed or had a heart attack or what. The fact remains, a husband, father and paramedic's life was swept away way too soon. My heart goes out to his family, friends and coworkers. Truly.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
There was a question of a cardiac issue since the beginning last night. It just wasnt reported in the news because all they care about is getting a good and interesting story.

This makes sound like his EMS agency wanted to get the headlines with the best story. I would imagine there was plenty of speculation at his EMS agency when this first happened just as there have been on this forum.

.just trying to protect a brother's memory.

If you want to protect a memory, use it as a reminder that everyone should be mindful of their own health and risk factors. We have had several threads about EMS providers being overweight, smoking and addicted to energy drinks. It is also no secret that heart disease kills more in the line of duty for EMS/FD than guns, knives or collapsing buildings from fire. Going down with an MI or CVA is not how most would like to be remembered.

Again, my condolences to the family of this Paramedic.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
There was a question of a cardiac issue since the beginning last night. It just wasnt reported in the news because all they care about is getting a good and interesting story. A medic getting attacked and dying as a result is much more interesting for the 11:00 news that just a simple heart attack.

Is this a fact or just your speculation about the media's intent? You just asked in an earlier thread for everyone to refrain from "concocking our own stories" and yet your comment about the media seems just that... con-cocking.

hreeves877

Forum Probie
If you want to protect a memory, use it as a reminder that everyone should be mindful of their own health and risk factors. We have had several threads about EMS providers being overweight, smoking and addicted to energy drinks. It is also no secret that heart disease kills more in the line of duty for EMS/FD than guns, knives or collapsing buildings from fire. Going down with an MI or CVA is not how most would like to be remembered.

Again, my condolences to the family of this Paramedic.

This particular medic had very recently passed a police physical when he was hired as part time at one of the depts in the area. Being a health care professional, I would assume you would understand that everything is detectable and/or preventable.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Yeah it said he was a tactical medic on the swat team part time. I am not sure what the physical standards are like for that in his area, but I can tell you here they are like the Army.
My friend is in his late 20's and has been in great physical shape all his life, he did 4 years in the Marine Corp and is currently in the Army, but he has really high cholesterol and takes meds for it. Bad things can happen to anyone sometimes, not just people who do not take good care of there body's.

hreeves877

Forum Probie
My final thoughts on this thread. You guys and gals can think whatever you like about why, how, what, etc happened. I know for a fact one thing is for sure. A great paramedic died far to young. Many people were affected by him, be it directly or indirectly, as a patient, co worker, family member, student, etc. The entire EMS community is one less. How it happened, why it happened, none of that is really important in the grand scheme. Can we learn from this? Maybe one day. Many of us can start learning now, as many people did not have the good luck I did to know this man directly. But some of us are going to just have to wait. We can not even possibly begin to think about learning anything or looking at this in any other way than we already are. And that is through our tears, our anger, and our total disbelief. One day maybe most of us will be able to look back and say "I wish he had done this" or "Maybe if we do this differently from now on..." But not today. Not tomorrow. Not next week, next month, maybe even not next year. Eventually though, we will be able to look back and laugh at memories and learn from past mistakes. But please guys, let that come in its own time. It will come, you just have to let us wrap our heads around all this. For many of us, its not real yet. I know personally I am still waiting for him to jump off the MICU for mutal aid on an MVC or fire call. In my head I know this won't happen, but its a tough thing to get used to. I still feel like I am just having a bad dream (even though I haven't slept since), or I want to hit the back button on my life browser. He will be missed greatly by all who knew him or ever came into contact with him throughout his life. My final comment on this whole thread is borrowed from a dear friend's facebook status from last night. God must have needed one hell of a paramedic up there, because thats the only sensible reason I can come up with that you are gone. Rest easy Danny Mac, and God speed.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
This particular medic had very recently passed a police physical when he was hired as part time at one of the depts in the area. Being a health care professional, I would assume you would understand that everything is detectable and/or preventable.

I hope you understand the differences between appearing physically fit and all the factors that determine ones health. Unfortunately physical requirements do vary from department to department in all fields. Passing one physical does not necessarily mean one is healthy or still does not have factors that can adversely affect one's health. As well, passing one physical can give one a sense of false security that leads to denial. BTW, there are some things that can be preventable and you should remember these from a CPR class. There are also some commonsense things that one should know. If one gets into shape for one physical but ignored fitness for the many years before or forgets about it after passing the physical, it may also be meaningless. Weekend warriors who try to make up for what they didn't do during the week also discover this and sometimes the hard way.

Also, not many agencies do a physical exam that stresses the body to see its response. Some will just do a little lab work and see if the person can bend or squat. A resting ECG may also tell very little.

You seem to have some strong mourning to do and I sincerely hope you have people around you other than this anonymous forum to express your feelings with for your own health.

Last edited by a moderator:

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Is this a fact or just your speculation about the media's intent? You just asked in an earlier thread for everyone to refrain from "concocking our own stories" and yet your comment about the media seems just that... con-cocking.

First, RIP to this medic and my condolences to his family, whatever happened.
Second, it's CONCOCT, not CON-COCK, seriously.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
First, RIP to this medic and my condolences to his family, whatever happened.
Second, it's CONCOCT, not CON-COCK, seriously.

I got karayas sarcasm...hoping you did too, except you did not quote the original con cock perp....