Medic Alert

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
Okay I am taking on a new job as an engineer and I am going to be in the field a lot in very remote locations. I have a bee sting allergy and other medical info that should me made available should something happen to me, I wanted to put on a bracelet and put a tag somewhere else. I don't want a necklace because I don't want it dangling around while I am working, I will be in work boots so an anklet is kinda out. My thought was one in my laces of my boot, I was just wonder from you all through your past experience would you notice on in the laces of my boot, or would you over look that? If you have any other suggestions feel free to toss the out there

Hastings

Noobie
Okay I am taking on a new job as an engineer and I am going to be in the field a lot in very remote locations. I have a bee sting allergy and other medical info that should me made available should something happen to me, I wanted to put on a bracelet and put a tag somewhere else. I don't want a necklace because I don't want it dangling around while I am working, I will be in work boots so an anklet is kinda out. My thought was one in my laces of my boot, I was just wonder from you all through your past experience would you notice on in the laces of my boot, or would you over look that? If you have any other suggestions feel free to toss the out there

I'd notice it, but a bracelet would do it. Bracelet is best. I'd notice that before I'd notice a necklace.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

Get a necklace and stick it down your shirt.

OP
OP
D

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
I had thought of just shoving it down my shirt but in the summer if it is hot out I often work without a shirt on.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Most of us will look for a bracelet or necklace. Go with what works.

OP
OP
D

Dobo

Forum Lieutenant
I will probably go for the Bracelet and a tag laced into my boot just as a back up

Thanks for the input :)

Dobo

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I once saw story about an older woman who had "Do Not Resuscitate" tattooed on her chest. There was also someone who had "place pads here" tattooed where the Defib pads go....

*ahem*

I say go with the bracelet, or if you want to be more subtle, the watch (yes, there is a watch). I personally would probably find tag on the boot after I had initiated care, since respiratory compromise trumps checking PSM. However, I always look for the bracelet when I check pulses during my initial ABC exam.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I once saw story about an older woman who had "Do Not Resuscitate" tattooed on her chest. There was also someone who had "place pads here" tattooed where the Defib pads go....

*ahem*

I say go with the bracelet, or if you want to be more subtle, the watch (yes, there is a watch). I personally would probably find tag on the boot after I had initiated care, since respiratory compromise trumps checking PSM. However, I always look for the bracelet when I check pulses during my initial ABC exam.

There was an RN in Oregon who did that. Not a legal DNR though. But for allergy info, sounds like a good idea to me.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Yeah, if you are allergic to bees or PCN or nuts it's not likely to change soon.

Although I could see some of the kids these days ending up with their whole chest covered.

Allergies
Peanuts
Walnuts
Pecans
Almonds
Milk
Cheese
Ice Cream
Pollen
Wheat
Dirt
Sun
Fun

etc etc etc....

Disclaimer - I'm not trying to mock people with allergies, just some of the "OMG my precious snowflake" parents.

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm deathly allergic to chocolate.. maybe a hershey's kiss in a red circle with a line through it????

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm deathly allergic to chocolate.. maybe a hershey's kiss in a red circle with a line through it????

Oh no!! But but but... Where is the joy in life with no chocolate? :p

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't miss it much. After the first ambulance ride with my husband sitting by my head with the airway kit open in his lap.. it sort of smells more like.. I don't know.. death? Dying?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Not with an epi pen close by!!

Kidding, kidding :)

medic417

The Truth Provider

Wow no wonder your so grouchy.:p A woman and no chocolate, thats like an oxymoron isn't it.:unsure:

But your right after facing death it is amazing how you decide you can live w/ something.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow no wonder your so grouchy.:p A woman and no chocolate, thats like an oxymoron isn't it.:unsure:

But your right after facing death it is amazing how you decide you can live w/ something.

I'm not grouchy. I'm actually quite lovable! Ask anyone! Besides.. I'm not allergic to alcohol yet.